Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #1 
bettaboyshiva

Smile mountain mullet a few weeks ago at sister island ( tobago) at agile water fall

This guy loves to jump so i have the tank lid covered at all times! was on a vacation in tobago a few weeks back and visited agile water fall and discovered these guys in the fast flowing streams...and decided one was going back home with me :)

bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

that's kinda sad...
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #3 
bettaboyshiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasMomma View Post
that's kinda sad...
sorry..just wanted one for a pet...plus he may not have survived out in that gushing water...and he loves shrimp :)
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If he was in a fast flowing stream, that's where he's meant to be :p
Plus fish in fast moving water have high oxygen needs and tend to need really powerful filters, like 20gal tank needs to be filtered 200gal/hour is needed for hillstream loaches, which also live in water like that. o-o
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #5 
bettafish15

That is sad... what if he's a schooling fish? It's best to not take things out of the wild, and to not put things into the wild. Also, hes probably stressed even more without cover. I don't see anything to hide behind in that tank.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #6 
diablo13

It's not always horrible to take things out of the wild. Heck, half of freshwater aquarium fish at any LFS are probably wild. As long as you have the space and know its care, why not? I assume shiva knew how to take care of it.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #7 
bettaboyshiva

I am aware of your concerns!..but the thing is im really surprised at how tame this fish has become i practically feeds from my hand! and yes i have done my home work with this guy..and sourced out his food..so he eats well..and so far he is doing pretty good! ...after 3 weeks ...these fishes are actually a food fish and also game fish..so he may have ended up in a pan .. now that would have been sad..as far as he is concerned...he has a 75 gal tank shared with some cory cats..with 2 aqua clear filters..70 gal and a 40 gal...as well as a power head :) so i think he likes it ! he is so cute i would recomend this guy for experienced fish keepers thou since he only eats shrimp and well likes to jump..and thanx diablo for the back up i really appreciate that buddy!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #8 
BellasMomma

its still sad even if you know how to care for it. He was FREE! Why take something from the wild when there are plenty of fish that my never have a good home at pet stores. Its just selfish!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #9 
GreenTea

Yeah, that's something a kid would do on impulse. Even if it's not harming anything or he would have ended up in pan, then so be it. That's one less fish to spawn there and keep the ecosystem going. It's always best to leave things where they are, and in regards to pet store fish, they were once brought from the wild, but most pet store fish are domestically bred and have been developed for certain traits for awhile.

I hope it doesn't die. There's not a good reason for removing him, so now that you have, hopefully you can provide good care.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #10 
nicolaas

Lay of guys it's not like he took 200,is only one fish.I have a bass, I took from a dam, I feed him earth worms. He is happy in his 5gal. Don't get mad I am only growing him bigger so I can put him in our dam with other bass.And if some one eat him? He would also not be able to spawn!I think it is better that he can in joy the fish.

Last edited by nicolaas; 01-29-2012 at 05:30 AM.
nicolaas is offline   Reply With Quote