Gizmothefreaky

three sick boys

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? steady 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? tank is divided between three males

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS growth formula pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 50% an 1 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? ran out of testing supplies... >.<

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? all three fish have become lethargic and clamped, sitting on their tails at the bottom of their qt containers and breathing very heavily. slightly paler, but not by much.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? see above
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday eavning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1 tsp/gal AQ salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? all under two (ages vary)

I dont know what to do.. i am beginning to think this tank is cursed, even whith 100% water changes and scalding water baths, even a weak bleach solution, any fish i put in here has been getting sick lately... I feel terrible about it, and i dont know what to do...

Please! Anything you can offer to help will be amazing!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

I am really pretty desperate here guys!! They all that sick at the same time, on the same day, with no improvement since yesterday.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #3 
Creat

Wow thats a lot of water to change. Any case I am against over changing the water and making the enviorment to sterile. I recently had an outbreak of something similar and OFL told me that it was probably mycobacteriosis. It can survive bleach even there is a lot of info on the web. There are different types and each can cause different things. I hope that might help a little and I do hope they get better :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

So i pretty much have to scrap the whole tank and start over? Great... Just the thing i cant afford right now.

Two of the boys that are sick are the boys that i just recieved from Darkmoon, and it makes me sick to think that she sent me these beautiful boys, and i placed them in a tank that is killing them...

The reason i actually change do much water out is because i am fighting with a HUGE population explosion of ramshorn snails, and i dont want the water to foul with the hundreds of snails.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #5 
Creat

I wouldnt worry about the ram horns ruining the water. I would try trapping them too if you havnet already. OFL suggested treating them with a UV sterilizer to kill the bacteria. Basically whats getting your fish is bad bacteria which is hardier then good bacteria so you have to make the environment good so the good bacteria will populate. But this is of course if it is your problem. If you have another tank with a filter running in it I would suggest just taking the filter media from that tank and putting it in this one. And try to cycle it or just to see if I could even be right try using water from said cycled tank to treat the fish with to see if it even is your problem. If not I am glad I can bump the thread :)
Old 01-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

after doing some research, i am thinking it may be some sort o internal parasite... And i found this in an article that Darkmoon wrote... Maybe she can give me some clue as to what to do...
Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #7 
Creat

If the poop is white as stringy or if they are eating but are loosing weight then its usually an internal parasite. The problem is internal parasites can mimic other things like fish tuberculosis and vice versa. I do hope you figure out whats plauging them.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

I agree with Creat, it sounds like it could be mycobacteriosis, especially since it isn't completely established. I'm not sure that you've had them long enough for an internal parasitic infection to already take its toll ( it usually takes some time). It could also be a toxin or shock of some sort. Did you add anything new to the tank recently?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote