Old 01-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 
DormDrax

Drax keeps sinking, mom getting way too attached so I need answers

Drax is over 2 now I know that much...

Issues

... Tank?
.... Everything's fine haha.

Anyway...
Seems for the past week or so (just back from the dorm for the weekend) Drax has been laying in this one tall plant in the back left corner (I think it's called an umbrella plant) it keeps him at about mid level. He just lays in it gasping, then after awhile frantically zooms to the top, gets air.... The. Almost like a stone falls back into the plant.

I feel like it's not an age issue, since he's been healthy till now.

I think it's a swim bladder issue. He seems very heavy, and can't float easily.

So far, lowered the water so it's just a few inches from him, let the filter pour over for abit to kinda bubble up the tank. Then turned the filter off.

The 7 neons, and ghost shrimp seem very happy so I don't think anything was transferred.

Well... *thinks back* one neon was weird a few weeks back and stayed at the bottom of the tank and got very pale, but now he's fine. Hmmmmmmmm

Anyway, no signs of ick, or dropsy, he seems to recognize me still and just now managed to get him to eat 2 pellets.

But it's actually really sad, since Peppers death (beloved family dog for over 15yrs) mom has now gotten really attached to the fish tank. And actually blames me for Draxs issue saying the other fish wear him out.... When actually all the fish completely ignore each other. In fact it was the neons that helped Drax eat now... They kept attacking his pellets till they dropped which happened to be right over where Drax is.

So yeah, what could it be? Is it just age? But when he swims up he seems like he's really pushing so I feel he has plenty of energy. Just... Can't stay afloat.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 
DormDrax

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? Yes but off ATM
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 7 neon tetras, ghost shrimps, and pest snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Standard BETTA pellets, some tropical flake food, treats of freeze dried blood worms now and then.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Maybe twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Try to do a 20% change every week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? some Epsom salt sparingly, and Aloe, and standard dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Fine
Nitrite: none
Nitrate: fine
pH: high
Hardness: high
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes, lethargic, gets air then immediately dives into a midlevel plant to keep from sinking to the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Mom noticed last week.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Lowered the water level
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had popeye when I first got him, which was a year ago, now he's blind in that eye but other than that no. No illnesses.
How old is your fish (approximately)? A girl who looked him over when I got him said he was easily already a year old, that was over a year ago... So he could be way over 2.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 
Bonbonisbff

I'm really sorry and I hope he gets better!
Bonbonisbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

I am sorry about the loss of Pepper... but there may be good news for Drax....

You said:
"He seems very heavy, and can't float easily"

IMO, it SOUND like he has gotten old OR his fins are getting to heavy, one of my older boys, Flagg has this problem, his fins have always been long and he has always had trouble swimming, but to help, he would bite his fins and keep them short... now that he is older, he doesn't really have the energy for that kind of stuff, he prefers to chill out on the bottom of the tank or in a hidey hole, so to make it easier have set up stepping stones for him, a wild range of different heighted plants set up around the tank for him to swim to and perch on... and a betta leaf near the top so he can build a bubble nest

Can you post pictures to help us determine?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 
DormDrax

I've been looking for the camera actually... Dad says I had it last which isnt true.

I have my iPad but it's so weird about not being able to upload pictures, I could only email them.

I could email them to you and you could upload haha.

*blushes* I have an algea problem so the front glass looks so spotty, but let's see shall we. *goes to take pics with iPad*
Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #6 
LittleBettas

You can actually email them to yourself and then copy the picture in to your pictures, then upload them onto photobucket or something and then post them here.... XD thats what I do, lol
Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
You can actually email them to yourself and then copy the picture in to your pictures, then upload them onto photobucket or something and then post them here.... XD thats what I do, lol
I would do that except I didn't bring my laptop home with me... Or is this a full iPad loop hole?

I got video too... >.> probably the saddest thing ever, he went head first into the side of the cave when he missed his plant. All the while the neons are just happily swimming a foot away. Does anyone see the connection between that and our economy? Hahaha
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #8 
LittleBettas

I dunno... lol... the only camera I have is attached to my BF's phone... so I simply text the pictures to my email and go from there.... lol

Can you post the video? That would probably help more than a picture....
Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #9 
DormDrax

Forgive me for the tanks state, I had just fed them so flake bits all over the bottom of the tank haha.

The plant in the back left is Draxs favorite,

In the last picture you can barley see his tail from behind the fern, as you can see the Neons and him just ignore each other.

Sorry for quality... iPads are not the best, as for videos... Trying to upload them via photo bucket app but they keep failing. Also my 'trying to breath quietly so the mic doesn't pick me up just sounds creepy hahahahaha

All plants are live btw. LIVE PLANTS FTW!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #10 
Silverfang

the other symptoms sound like an issue with the swim bladder, but you said he lays there gasping, gasping is never good. I'd suggest contacting OFL or Sakura for more help, gasping is something I haven't dealt with.

For now I'd get him in a small container you can float in the tank. If it was possible I'd suggest lowering the water level in the tank, but with the other fish that isn't really an option. In the container you can do daily water changes and he won't have as far to go for air. I'd also suggest starting him on epsom salt, 1 tsp/gal would be a good place to start.

IME epsom salt does wonders for fish who have trouble swimming up.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote