Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #11 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
the other symptoms sound like an issue with the swim bladder, but you said he lays there gasping, gasping is never good. I'd suggest contacting OFL or Sakura for more help, gasping is something I haven't dealt with.

For now I'd get him in a small container you can float in the tank. If it was possible I'd suggest lowering the water level in the tank, but with the other fish that isn't really an option. In the container you can do daily water changes and he won't have as far to go for air. I'd also suggest starting him on epsom salt, 1 tsp/gal would be a good place to start.

IME epsom salt does wonders for fish who have trouble swimming up.
A floated container... *face palms for not thinking of that* yes I'll go do that now in fact.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #12 
Silverfang

one of those resealable food containers works well, or if you have the cup he came in (granted after two years...)

Still would get that gasping checked out, that is never good. I have a feeling that if swim bladder is causing the uh, lack of buoyancy, epsom salt will turn that much around quickly. I've had two fish that could barely get off the bottom of the tank, after 24 hours I could see improvement, after a week they were like normal. Truely, warm epsom salted water and a lower water level will help tremendously.
Silverfang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #13 
DormDrax

Made a Epsom mix for Drax, put a glass bowl (think It was a candle holder, but it was merely dusty so I rinsed it well, bout a 5x5in globe shape) anchored by a string and small weight over the side. He's in it now... Yeah... Now it's really depressing because he normally hates being in a small place and just furiously goes in circles... Now he's just laying there breathing... Twitching painfully now and then.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #14 
Silverfang

Sorry to hear he sounds so miserable :( hope you can find something that will help him feel better
Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #15 
DormDrax

*shrugs*

Moms just happy I made Drax comfortable, and helped him.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #16 
DormDrax

New curious development...

Just got back from friends and took a look at him laying in the glass globe thing...

I knew he ate too much but hmm... His left side is very bulged out while his right side is perfectly normal. Could this mean some type of organ failure or bacteria? Or just horrid constipation?

Why can any of my pets die of natural causes! Pepper had to be put down due to painful arthritis and unable to walk or move anymore (we even carried her outside and helped her for a month before it just got so bad that we realized she had no life anymore and had to let go)

Now my Drax is in pain and I don't know what to do, if he dies I feel this might cause my mother to have some sort of break down after just losing Pepper (Pepper was technically her dog).
Old 01-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #17 
Silverfang

It could be any of those, organ/kidney failure, fatty liver, tumor, or just plain old bloated/constipated. I'd say up the dose of salt to 2tsp/gal on your next change. I'm not sure what temperature he's at, but I know warmer water and a WC often help my boys/girls when they're a bit bloated.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #18 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
It could be any of those, organ/kidney failure, fatty liver, tumor, or just plain old bloated/constipated. I'd say up the dose of salt to 2tsp/gal on your next change. I'm not sure what temperature he's at, but I know warmer water and a WC often help my boys/girls when they're a bit bloated.
I shall when I get back in a few hours. *getting ready for a fancy dinner party*

I've forbid my mother to even look at him. He barley moves now. His condition worse. I doubt he'll make it another 24 hours. Which I hope since I can't have mother deal with him by herself shed lose it. Since I return to school tomorrow night.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #19 
DormDrax

Update!!! From mother

Who knew my "Oh well feeding all these fish is hard!" mom would actually end up being so helpful!

All week she followed my instructions I got from you guys with changing the floated bowl (globe thing) Drax was being kept in to keep him separate from the other fish as well as close to the surface. AS WELL AS daily changes of 2tsp per gallon Epsom salted water.

You all had said that Epsom Salt works wonders for Bettas and it cures alot... Well Yesterday Mom called me as she was changing the water in the thing saying he seemed more active. And just got a call now saying Drax seems almost normal again! HOORAY! But of course when I get home in the next few hours I'll look him over. But if he seems recovered should I reintroduce him to the community tank or... ...... Yeah it has been a week, those Neos no longer group as much. Either they will mob Drax as an intruder or he will .....
>.>
<.<
pick them off one by one... Haha

But thought I should tell you all that it seems that Drax is pulling through yet again!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #20 
chrissylee13

oh my gosh yay!!! :] so glad he's better! i hope! lol.

i'm not sure about reintroducing him. maybe someone else will know!
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote