Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #11 
Jrf456

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
But it really isnt much room to swim, and I imagine it's difficult for you to heat it properly. If you get him a 1g+ setup, you can get a heater for him. They don't make heaters for half gallons. :/ I didn't mean to sound rude, but I just think its unfortunate he doesn't get the space to be as active as he could be.
+1

I'm one for at least 1g tanks for bettas unless it's temporary. I understand many many fish (including my boy Garland) freak out in anything bigger than a 1.5g, but I'm gonna try it again with these nice 3g tanks I've found. They're only 12 bucks at Petsupermarket if you have one near you!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #12 
StarBetta

Quote:
But it really isnt much room to swim, and I imagine it's difficult for you to heat it properly. If you get him a 1g+ setup, you can get a heater for him. They don't make heaters for half gallons. :/ I didn't mean to sound rude, but I just think its unfortunate he doesn't get the space to be as active as he could be.
It's Okay. I'll try to get him a kit either today or tomorrow. What heater is good to use?
I have a petland around me. I'm praying I won't accidently find a gorgeous betta like how I accidently got Captain America.
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #13 
bettafish15

Well, the brand of heater depends on what size of tank you get. Tetra brand heaters are usually a bust, although some people have luck with them. Hagen Elite is a great series. Heaters for the smaller tanks generally work well, just remember to get a thermometer ($2) to make sure the temp stays in the 78-82F range :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #14 
a123andpoof

If you need a cheap heater the Tetra isn't the best, but it would work if you don't have enough money for a better one. They work well in my 1 gallon and 2 gallon. Don't get it for a 10 gallon.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #15 
StarBetta

Those are controllable, right? Because my other heater almost fried my betta but thankfully he survived. (Captain America)
Old 01-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #16 
bettafish15

Tetra heaters are not, no. Thats why they're hit-or-miss. Hagen Elite brand is adjustable. Hydor Theo is adjustable, and also a good brand.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #17 
StarBetta

Quote:
Tetra heaters are not, no. Thats why they're hit-or-miss. Hagen Elite brand is adjustable. Hydor Theo is adjustable, and also a good brand.
How much do those cost?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #18 
BettaMommy531rip

I would go by the "at least 2 gallons per fish rule." For a ten gallon 5 in my opinion is the best option, but the more the merrier. I wouldn't push it over 6 though, on account of your tank size.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Just wanted to say I have 2 tetra heaters (2-15gal) for my betta, and they do keep the water at 76F. Every heater brand seems to have that random, defective heater, so you do have to keep a watch on em. I always keep my boxes and receipt for as long as the store would be willing to take the item back, just in case.
+1 to a123andproof though, I don't think they'd hold up well in a tank over 5gallons, so you'd have to go a level higher for them.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #20 
callistra

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBetta View Post
That's kinda rude but he LOVES it. He has room to swim at least it's better than being in a bag with an inch of water (HINT HINT TO PETSTORES) If I put him divided in the 10 gallon he might leave some sickness on it and my other fish will get sick and please I don't want tht.

On the other hand: Thanks!
Half gallon just isn't big enough. That aside, the problem with your half gallon is you aren't keeping it clean enough or heated enough and he was exhibiting advanced signs of ammonia poisoning. To take care of a betta in a half gallon would be incredibly hard.. daily water changes and designating a betta room in the 80s to maintain his temp. He isn't going to live more than a year or two or maybe a little longer if he's particularly hardy the way you described in your help thread. I'm sorry. Don't meant to be cruel but based on your last thread he just isn't getting what he needs so I hope you choose to change your care practices. And I know in yet another thread you've got a majorly overstocked 10g including putting a betta in with a goldfish and you said you couldn't afford to fix it so I think maybe you should focus on the fish you have instead of trying to set up a new 10g sorority. Sorry if this sounds harsh but think about maximizing the quality of life of what you already own before you invest in more.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote