Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #1 
BarbieDragon

Hello from the Bay Area in California!

HI everyone!
I don't have a betta fish anymore, but I'm looking to get started PROPERLY.
As many of you guys know, many newbies about betta fish are often misinformed. I kept my first and only betta fish in a small container (half gallon?) with water temperatures fluctuating from 60-82 degrees Fahrenheit. The betta fish crossed the rainbow bridge and went to a better place after 6 months of having him. I always wondered if there was a better way to keep these fish since they always looked bored in the little container. My betta fish was very active, would stare as I walked by, watching me all the time. He sat on the breakfast counter of the house so he was always occupied watching my family do stuff. Now that I've read so much about betta fish care I feel extremely bad about not providing a safe and wonderful home for the betta fish. Like I am seriously depressed about it. I think I almost cried... Is that weird?
But I know much better. Better now then never! I'm still not 100% sure about getting a betta fish but I'm on the fence with this one. Anyways, I hope the betta fish forgives me for being such an ignorant person and he is in a better place now! So hello everyone!
So hello everyone! :)
BarbieDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

HI! Don't be depressed. Everyone makes mistakes. There are some great people on here that are very helpful. A few even are managing to help me keep a sorority in good shape. If they can whip me into shape you will be great! I should cry about my first betta though, I was 18 and let it get to cold. This was back when the *bettas don't need heat* myth was really really popular. I am proof of otherwise. My first one lasted a week or two.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #3 
BarbieDragon

My tank got pretty cold too... It's a miracle how long the betta fish lived in such horrendous conditions. Maybe its because I did frequent water changes... I did 100% changes every 4 days with warm water. Sigh poor fish.
I guess I better rescue one from petco if i decide to get one! IF I get one that is...
Old 01-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

Are you nervous? What in particular is holding you back? I can understand after surviving a betta tragedy. Keep checking out the betta care forums and that should help you out with any worrys.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #5 
BarbieDragon

Yeah I'm actually really nervous! I don't know if I'll be responsible enough to take care of a betta fish. I'm currently a college student and will be transferring in 2 years. I'm sure taking care of a betta fish isn't as demanding as a dog so I'm still considering it! I also don't know where to really get a betta fish... I know I can get one from Petco or Petsmart but I feel like if I buy from them I'm basically supporting their market to keep betta fish in little delicups until they die or get bought by another "ignorant" person... I've seen a fair share of dead betta fish floating around their delicup with yellow growth filling the whole cup! Tragic... :(((
Old 01-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

Well honestly, they are never going to stop selling them wether you buy or not. The only thing we can hope for is that someone eventually forces them to take care of them. Fish are considered decoration and not a live animal. I am a student too so I can understand I am fortunate enough to live at home though. You can get a betta if you have the requirements. Get at least a 2 or even better a 3 gallon tank, heater and filter, aeration. Which won't be hard to transfer, You also need a tank hood and light. I think you should get ahold of a moderator on here and voice your concerns to them. They all answer on their personal pages. The moderators I can think of at this moment are OldFishLady, Romad, Sakura8 and DramaQueen and they are all great.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

Oh and the chemicals you need. Talk to them though they are very nice people and give you straight facts.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful would of Betta keeping....

Look forward to seeing pics and hearing more about your Betta keeping adventures.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #9 
BarbieDragon

Yeah I was planning to get either a 10 gallon tank and split it to have two hm male bettas, a 20 gal for a sorority or just a humble 5 gallon for one hm betta... GAH I also live at home which is a plus! And not to mention I got a part time job... So I thikn I'll be getting a betta fish!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #10 
Leeniex

Hi! Welcome to the board, these folks are great.

The bay area is my favorite place in the world! Of course, I've only been there one time.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote