Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 AM   #1 
2BBettaOwner

Hello ! New to this and need some advice

Good evening,

I just newly registered because I am considering getting an aquarium with some betta fish.

I've read through some of the threads but I being completely inexperienced with fish and aquarium, I've got some basic questions.

1. Oxygenation of the water for a betta fish tank, do I need something like airstones or other thing to oxygenize the water?

I'm confused about this because I keep reading about betta fish being kept successfully in small fish bowls with nothing as far as water conditioning equipment goes.

2. What should I buy, can someone give me a list of what I must buy to make a home for a betta fish?

3. I've read that 1:3 ratio male/female works well can I buy all four of them together or do I introduce them one by one?

How big a tank is needed for four bettas?

Well these are the main questions I have for now and would love hear your comments and answers.

Sabine
2BBettaOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: Hello ! New to this and need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BBettaOwner
1. Oxygenation of the water for a betta fish tank, do I need something like airstones or other thing to oxygenize the water?
You don't need to. Bettas can breathe air from the surface hence their labyrinth organ however a filter doing surface movement is fine as long as it is not vigorous that it disrupts its activity of creating bubblenests.

A vase filled with plants is plainly wrong because it prevents the betta from going to the surface thus suffocating it.

Quote:
I'm confused about this because I keep reading about betta fish being kept successfully in small fish bowls with nothing as far as water conditioning equipment goes.
I would prefer a tank with filtration for them. It's up to you but I find it best to provide their home with filtration.
Quote:
2. What should I buy, can someone give me a list of what I must buy to make a home for a betta fish?
A 5 gallons tank with a heater and a sponge filter is all I will need if I were you. Make sure tank is cycled with ammonia and nitrites at zero while nitrates not exceed 40 ppm. Do water changes if you detect any of the three at dangerous levels. Use API liquid test kit for best test results.

Stick with a male betta along with a snail for a tankmate.:) Snails add up to the fun.

Quote:
3. I've read that 1:3 ratio male/female works well can I buy all four of them together or do I introduce them one by one?
The ratio is a very good one preventing the male from attacking and killing a female as he spreads his attention towards all the females present. A 20 gallons with several thickets of plants can accomplish this. Smaller than that may or may not.
Quote:
How big a tank is needed for four bettas?
20 gallons. The larger, the better. You can consider other fish such as rasboras and otocinclus catfish as well provided the tank has enough space to accommodate everyone else.

Welcome to Fishforum.com, Sabine.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #3 
MegK

all that, and u could have a female only tank and have about 6 or so in a nicely planted ten gallon
MegK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #4 
beetlebz

so far my 10 gallon chick tank is coming along fine. I had 1 female go nuts on me so i moved her to my 30 gallon for a week, then back in with the others and she is kept pretty well in check now. they all have very colorful personalities and are an absolute treat.

all it is, is a 10 gal with a light, and a $12 tetra whisper filter, and i used the lid from one of the betta containers, tied to a zip tie and stuck in the lid under the outflow from the filter to diffuse the current. 2 little packs of fake plants, and a house, which i made from a plastic bowl and cut a door out. so far the 4 girls (rhonda, smurfette, bit**, and little girl) are getting along well enough and they are just healthy as oxes :)

they dont have the finnage of the dude bettas but they have all the personality if not more!
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote