Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #1 
MaxGreenMDE

My pH is too high what now?

So I got some little stick ons that you put in the water and stick on the glass to monitor ammonia and pH. Ammonia is in the safe zone but my pH is 8.2 :/ what now?
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

As long as it's always been 8.2 and will always be 8.2... nothing. Stable pH is safer than adjusted pH. Mine is 8.0, and my fish are not fizzed by it at all.

I also don't trust those sticky thing, could you get some liquid kits for testing?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #3 
MaxGreenMDE

i couldn't find any other than those one's :/ the rest were all strips and i was told those are inaccurate..
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

WalMarts usually sell pH and Ammonia kits... are you close to any of those?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #5 
registereduser

mine is pretty high, off the color chart actually. I tested the water in the cup he came in and it was the same PH! So no worries.

What I do know is the stuff they sell to lower PH is not good, it can hurt them, so best to stick with a high PH and they will acclimate.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

It's not so much that the stuff can hurt them, but the chance at a fluctuating pH when not mixed properly or a sudden rise or drop that can hurt or even kill a Betta. Bettas can do perfectly fine in high pH, as long as it stays that way lol
Old 01-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #7 
LunaticFringeInc

8.2 ph huh? Thats just about perfect for a saltwater reef tank!

While i havent used the type of stick on monitors your talking about, I can tell you that after years of keeping and aquaculture of SPS corals, I wouldnt put a whole lot of faith in the accuracy of any tester other than the liquid chemical reagent test kits of a quality brand. Also be advised that the time of day (light/dark phase) will have a profound effect on your PH readings as well. Tanks that use calcium based rocks and substrate such as sand will also tend to have a little higher PH readings as well. Your PH readings will generally be lower in the morning right after you turn your lights on than it will at the end of the light cycle just before lights out. That being said I would try to take note of the PH readings at about the same time every day to ensure consistent accuracy.
LunaticFringeInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticFringeInc View Post
8.2 ph huh? Thats just about perfect for a saltwater reef tank!
Its actually funny because we have 8pH, and locals have a hard time keeping stuff alive on the live rock in sw tanks lol