Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 
wolfiegreen

Dropsy?

So just got a female betta from Walmart but didn't noticed when i got her home and set her up in a small one gallon quarintine tank that she has slight pineconing going on. All I have is aquarium salt here but I'll run by Petsmart on my way to work tomorrow morning. What exactly am I going to need to look for in Petmart? Also know I'm supposed to use Epsom salt where do I get that?
I've never had anything worse than a case of ick a long time ago so I don't have anything stocked. She had just eaten right before I took the pics, she also seems to be swimming normally no clamped fins or sitting at the bottom.

Last edited by wolfiegreen; 01-30-2012 at 11:46 PM.
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #2 
dormfish

I would check on store websites tonight to see where it's carried. Check petsmart and petco pages and see if your store has any on stock, that way you can get some right away tomorrow.
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #3 
wolfiegreen

Petsmart said nothing and i have no petco near me, read something on another post about it being in the pharmacy section so when walmart opens in the morning ill run there. It doesnt suprise me something wrong with the fish. There tanks were disgusting, there was a rotten pleco stuck to a filter and i mean ROTTEN there were hardly any fish.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #4 
dormfish

That's gross! That's bad even for Walmart!! Hope your fish gets better! It sounds like you've caught it early enough to treat, but dropsy is fast moving. Sounds like you know what to do though!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #5 
wolfiegreen

Petsmart has to take care of there fish if you think about it but Walmart could care less. I wish they'd just get rid of there fish. I hate Walmart :/. Yeah I was taking pics stopped thought it was a growth fed her then saw the pineconing. It sucks I rather like her tail and gunmetal blue color. Even worse I think they may have hole in the head but my cameras not good enough to show what I believe it is. I started treating with aquarium salt just in case.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #6 
dormfish

Again, best of luck to you and your gal there. What are the causes of hole in head, by the way? I don't remember.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #7 
purplemuffin

You'll want to use epsom salt, it won't be at petsmart, but it will be at a target, walmart, pharmacy, etc. Call ahead and ask if they have it.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #8 
wolfiegreen

Ill make a run to Walmart in the morning it's close enough I can get her treated in the morning before work
Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #9 
purplemuffin

Doesn't look like full dropsy to me, so the epsom salt should do her good. Don't mix the AQ salt with the epsom, they do basically the opposite things. Just do a water change and add the epsom salt. She could just be a little sick and swollen in the belly, causing the raised scales.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #10 
wolfiegreen

It's just a line of 3 scales on her belly, but will do purple. I'll have some of the salt at home for any other issues. Someone should sell a betta emergency kit on here lol