Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #1 
Tappy4me

Disinfecting live plants after betta death

Hello all.

I came home from work yesterday to find that Ruger had passed away. I don't know what happened. He was alive yesterday morning, and I had been doing water changes like I normally do to keep the water pristine for my guys. I acclimated him over an hour and a half when I put him in the tank to minimize stress....but he must have had something wrong internally. He was acting a little odd the day before, breathing very heavily, but still swimming around and eating well. Being only the 2nd day I had him, I had no time to do anything really...I found him at the bottom of his tank, uncontorted, so it looked like he passed in peace. I wonder if he had some sort of bacterial infection that was brought out by the warm water. His body was covered in an EXTREME amount of slime coat; moreso than any dead betta I've had.

First question: What do you all think it could have been that killed him?

Second question: I have an anubis, 3 java ferns and a marimo moss ball in there that I'd like to re-use for another fish. (As well as the sand, terra cotta pot and thermometer.)

I'm going to exchange poor Ruger today at Petco for something else. Because I didn't have time to do anything last night, I dropped a few drops of malachite green in the tank and will be cleaning it today. I have an alternate Aqueon 1.5 gal tank that I'll be using for the new betta. (temporarily of course. I'll be switching it to a 2 gallon kritter carrier I have around eventually)

Thanks guys. I'm so devastated he passed...he was a coloration I had been looking for to get for a long time.
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Roger. I'm going to bump this to try and get some answers to your questions.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote