Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #1 
agent89201

College Girl upgrading tanks?

I have a 2 gal KK that Beau has been in for a few months. My friend a few floors above me just got a goldfish with a 5.5 gallon and it looks so nice. After looking at hers, I was considering upgrading my fish's tank to maybe a 3 gallon glass tank. MAYBE 5 gallons. I know goldfish need more space, I just wanted to hear thoughts on upgrading my beautiful betta!!! The only issue is that I go home for the summer and winter breaks. Would this be an issue with a tank this size? Would I also need a filter? Or should I just stay with my 2 gallon KK? Advice! Thanks in advance!
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What do you mean would it be an issue? For leaving the tank and fish over the breaks, or taking everything home?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

When I lived in the dorms at college I had a betta in a 5 gal filtered. It was a plexiglass tank that came as a kit. It was pretty easily moved. I had it for about 2.5 years. I'd say go for it if you have the room on your desk.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 
agent89201

Olympia, I was talking about moving the fish. I couldn't leave him here!
Koi, that's comforting! I think I might take a look and see what they have out there.

I was thinking for Thanksgiving break and the shorter breaks I could just take his KK back home so I wouldn't have to bring the 5 gallon if I get one. Is that a good idea?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

I have a standard glass 5.5 gallon tank. It's beautiful and an overall wonderful investment. You will have to cycle and filter it though unless you keep it bare and you don't mind doing 100% water changes on it.

It's a bit heavy and a pain in the but to move but it's doable. I mean I do it at least 4 times each year so it's gotta be. Although if you wanted to; over spring break you could leave your tank in your dorm and just bring your Kritter Keeper for the week that you're on vacation/at home. That's what I used to do for the shorter breaks (except I used a vase).

Your friend probably need to upgrade her goldfish to a 10 gallon in a couple of months btw. They need 10 gallons per fish. =] Just thought I'd give you a heads up. It should be ok for now though.

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 01-24-2012 at 11:27 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #6 
wolfiegreen

I had two tanks a 2.5 gal and a 5 gal glass kit from walmart. Although the glass is nice i'd say go with something plexiglass the 5 gal gets kinda heavy trying to take it home when you finally leave not to mention fear of breaking it.
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent89201 View Post
Olympia, I was talking about moving the fish. I couldn't leave him here!
Koi, that's comforting! I think I might take a look and see what they have out there.

I was thinking for Thanksgiving break and the shorter breaks I could just take his KK back home so I wouldn't have to bring the 5 gallon if I get one. Is that a good idea?
My Thanksgiving Break was a week long, so I just took my betta back. Plus the power was cut off in the dorms. I couldn't leave him in the mountains with no heater. I'd really recommend the plexiglass over glass. (They do make algae scrubbers for plexiglass tanks.) It is sooo much lighter. I was even able to carry it with mono in freezing weather. Looking back it wasn't the smartest thing I've done, but what can I say: I'm stubborn.

Aqueon Goldfish Mini Bow 5 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit - Fish - Sale - PetSmart This was the closest thing I could find to what I bought (that was about 5 years ago and at WalMart). Petco might have something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
-snip-

Your friend probably need to upgrade her goldfish to a 10 gallon in a couple of months btw. They need 10 gallons per fish. =] Just thought I'd give you a heads up. It should be ok for now though.
Actually her friend will most likely lose the goldfish before it grows large enough for a 10 gal. Goldfish produce enough ammonia to make that tank extremely toxic very quickly. She will need to change the water daily. Sadly this is what happens when pet store employees are clueless and spout the myth that "fish grow to their tank." Goldfish need about 20 gal for the first and an additional 10 gal for each, but that is just for the fancies. The commons and comets need around 55 gal so they can swim and will need around a 100 gal tank when fully grown. Sadly that goldfish is going to die waay before its time, but maybe agent can convince her friend to get a betta for the 5 gal. It would be a perfect match.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #8 
scootshoot

Quote:
Olympia, I was talking about moving the fish.
Sounds like a well thought out plan to me
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #9 
agent89201

That's a good idea. I think I'll go with plexiglass. What about filters? I don't really know much about them except that I should baffle it...
Koi- does that kit come with a filter?

She was supposed to get another goldfish but the lady advised her not to or to upgrade. She was really nice and helpful, actually. Kind of rare. But she lives in a dorm like I do and 5 gallons is all she can sacrifice. All I know about goldfish is that they need a filter and produce a lot of ammonia and need a lot of space. I told her she should sign up for a forum or do some research. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #10 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
That's a good idea. I think I'll go with plexiglass. What about filters? I don't really know much about them except that I should baffle it...
Koi- does that kit come with a filter?

She was supposed to get another goldfish but the lady advised her not to or to upgrade. She was really nice and helpful, actually. Kind of rare. But she lives in a dorm like I do and 5 gallons is all she can sacrifice. All I know about goldfish is that they need a filter and produce a lot of ammonia and need a lot of space. I told her she should sign up for a forum or do some research. We'll see.
The one I linked does come with a filter built into the hood. You should be able to baffle it using a plastic bottle and a sponge. You will need a heater for it, tho.

Glad to see some pet store employees aren't all bad. In my opinion she should return the goldfish and get a betta. Goldfish aren't suited for a 5 gal, no matter how small they are. I've been keeping goldfish for a while. Right now I have two in a 55 gal. Thgab.org is a very good goldfish forum that I found when I had some trouble with my goldfish. The people there are very intelligent and kind. She would be welcome to join there. They're always willing to help.