Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #1 
StarBetta

Exclamation Teared fins?!

Oh No. Right after Sat. School, guess what I see. Guess. Rainbow's fins are RIPPED. His anal fin has a tear right through the middle that almost reaches the body. His caudal fin has several pieces missing at the bottom. I could have sworn that at the bottom of his caudal its like a clear white with red spots but only a little tiny bit all the way at the bottom like you can even see it unless you look closer. His 2 other tankmates also have teared fins as well. They don't get along sometimes too.
DECOR:
  • Sponge bob Krusty Crab
  • Rainbow rock with no sharp edges(could be used as a filter because of holes at top)
  • Long,Curly tree
  • 2 Little trees with little branches but they are rounded (not sharp)
  • Cave formed into a half tree (no sharp edges)
  • Betta leaf (to rest on)
There are 2 plecos as well but they don't bother the other fish. One would be in the cave while the other is outside the cave.
Advice?
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need some more info and a pic....

Tank size, how much and how often on the water changes, filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, appetite, how long have you had him, what type of substrate, other tank mates, what species are the plecos....has he ever been sick and/or treated-if so details....
Source water information-well water, tap water...etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #3 
StarBetta

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon ( now divided 9 min. ago)
What temperature is your tank? 74-76 Degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A platy, 2 plecos, and a TEMPORARY goldfish. Yes I know, goldfish need cold water with 55 gallon tanks dont worry I'll get him to that as soon as possible. He seems to like the warm water.... ?
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets 2-3 times a day. He's starting to eat less so I feed less.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 1-2 weeks mostly on the weekends.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? The tank ALWAYS gets so filthy I have to do 100% water change but when I net them I scoop up some of the old water then add it to the tank w/ the fish.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Aqua Plus Tap Water Conditioner and Aq. Salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Teared/Bitten fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's been VERY lazy even before His fins teared. Always Sleeping.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Earlier today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? In the months when I first got him, he had bloat but I treated him. He had little tears in his fins but nothing like this.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not very sure so N/A.

Last edited by StarBetta; 01-28-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

As I am sure you already know....you are not just overstock but poorly stocked along with poor water quality from this and limited water changes-compounded by no filtration for all the other species of fish...its just a matter of time before things get worse than what you are seeing now.....

Good that you plan on moving the goldfish soon-but you also have another problem with the plecos-depending on what kind they are-even the type that stay small (under 6inches) can only be kept in a 10gal for a limited time and if these are the common plecos-they will get way too big and not only out growing the tank-as they mature they stop eating algae and start seeking higher protein usually in the form of the slime coat of other fish-like Bettas and goldfish....you need a much larger tank for them or re-home if they are the common type-you will end up having a lot more problems than you are having now.....

I would get the Betta in a different tank all together if you ever hope to keep his fins and health intact.....

In the 10gal with the pleco, goldfish and platy-I would start making some water changes to get the salt out-since this can be harmful to plecos and since you don't have a filter-I would start making 2-3 weekly 50% with 100% monthly at the very least.....

Its important to research the fish and provide the proper environment to meet their needs.....

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #5 
StarBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
As I am sure you already know....you are not just overstock but poorly stocked along with poor water quality from this and limited water changes-compounded by no filtration for all the other species of fish...its just a matter of time before things get worse than what you are seeing now.....

Good that you plan on moving the goldfish soon-but you also have another problem with the plecos-depending on what kind they are-even the type that stay small (under 6inches) can only be kept in a 10gal for a limited time and if these are the common plecos-they will get way too big and not only out growing the tank-as they mature they stop eating algae and start seeking higher protein usually in the form of the slime coat of other fish-like Bettas and goldfish....you need a much larger tank for them or re-home if they are the common type-you will end up having a lot more problems than you are having now.....

I would get the Betta in a different tank all together if you ever hope to keep his fins and health intact.....

In the 10gal with the pleco, goldfish and platy-I would start making some water changes to get the salt out-since this can be harmful to plecos and since you don't have a filter-I would start making 2-3 weekly 50% with 100% monthly at the very least.....

Its important to research the fish and provide the proper environment to meet their needs.....

Good luck.....
Okay! So once I re-home the plecos and goldfish, should I give away the platy too? Oh and I think my plecos are the common type. I guess when it's only my betta I can put him in a seperate tank with a snail? I personally don't know what to do with the goldfish because he's really pretty and my mom is attached to him :(