Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #1 
emeraldamykate

I made a horrible housing mistake. Please help!

So I was at PetCo the other day shopping for my rabbit and I wandered into the fish section and I found two beautiful Betta's that I fell in love with. Anyways, I believed that one of the small half gallon tanks with a divider was enough. After looking at them in it, and reading this website I've realized I made a horrible mistake. I feel awful. I'm going to get them a new tank on Friday. But before then I have a few questions.

Is it best to get a 5 gallon with two dividers, or a 10 gallon with three dividers? Each Betta would get either 2.5 gallons or 3.3 gallons to himself. Oh and if I got the 10 gallon with three, that would mean another fish! Even though I don't really deserve it right now..

Anyways, if you have dividers do you need a heater for each division? Or one for the whole tank? Also, what is the best heater to get? Same question for the filter..

And about how much does it cost to get everything? I'm ready to spend whatever it takes, I'm just looking for a number so I know kind of what to expect.

I think that's it for right now, but if you have any other tank shopping and setup advice that would be appreciated!
emeraldamykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

For everything in my 10g it cost us about $150.
For everything in the 5g it cost us about $75.
Make sure you get a filter, and a heater.
Getting a kit is a good idea too. Also, shop around at all of the pet shops because one of them is gonna have a good deal. LOL
I think (for you) a 10g is the best bet!
Don't feel bad about the housing, you didn't know. :)

Good Luck! :D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Ooops, and I use this heater in my 10g:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752191 in 100W
and this filter:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...295&lmdn=Brand in the Power 20
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #4 
a123andpoof

Go for the 10g XP
I can't recommend a heater cause mine are crap, and my filter came with a two gallon, but work great for my 10g.
Also don't buy your dividers from a petstore!! There are great tutorials on here for cheap dividers!
Also be sure to get lots of hiding spots so they don't get to stressed living in the same tank.
And with their current living conditions probally want to do 25% to 50% water changes daily. I don't know what you are doing just a suggestion.
Also be sure to get a water test kit! Very important! And do NOT get the strips. They are not accurate.
Also post pics of your boys! Also very important! XP
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #5 
Laki

It's all a learning road :) Congrats for realising this ^.^

It's really up to you and your budget. If you decide to get a tank and divide them, by all means bc you'll only buy 1 heater/filter. However, if you'd like to get them separate homes you'll have to provide 2 heaters and filters (if you want). In this sense, you can get cheap acrylic kritter keepers or mini bow tanks and cheap 20$ heaters.
Also, yes, pics are a must!! ;)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #6 
wolfiegreen

Walmarts got a good deal on 10 gallons for 30 but then you need to buy rocks and a heater. If you shop around you can easily find everything for 75 or less
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

I make my own dividers from the spines of report covers (plastic sheet with a plastic clip that slides down the side) and plastic craft mesh from a craft store :) I also spent $10 on a tube of silicone and a caulking gun.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #8 
Badjer

When I got my first two bettas, I had them in a divided 2.5. It's a very common, easy beginner mistake! Unless you have the money to upgrade right now, you could just by two 2 gallon kritter keepers and two Hagen Elite Mini heaters. Kritter keepers make great betta homes and are quite cheap. I use one as a QT container. The Hagen Mini heaters are only about 15 bucks each off Amazon and are adjustable. I've never had any problems with them. This is how I housed my boys when I realized that 1 gallon apiece was rather tight. Eventually I saved up enough money to upgrade to a 20 long, and I have three happy bettas!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #9 
Gen2387

Yay! Happy to know you'll change them in a new tank. Go for the 10g and you could even just put 1 divider and they'll have 5g each. EVEN BETTER! :)

For the divider, don't buy it at the pet store It's 100 times cheaper to do it yourself and at least it'll fit perfectly. There's a sticky here somewhere that shows how to do it. It's super easy and fast.

You can just have 1 filter, 1 heater and 1 thermometer if there is a good flow between the divider.

Good luck! Happy for you!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #10 
emeraldamykate

Thank you all so much!
Unfortunately after measuring my dresser, which is where the tank is/will go, it doesn't look like I can fit a 10 gallon tank. It is big enough for a 5 gallon, which I think will be perfect for them with a divider. Also, thanks for the suggestion about making my own divider. I can't wait to go get everything!

Oh, and here are my boys!
This is Hercules,

And this is Dionysus, who I've named with help from people on here!

Again, thank you all for the help! My fishy dudes really appreciate it!
emeraldamykate is offline   Reply With Quote