Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #1 
BarbieDragon

20 Gallon equip, tankmate questions

Hi everyone.
So I finally decided to get a betta fish. I'm planning on getting a male Half moon (not a specific one but I will get one.)
So far I have nothing which is why I am here to ask for help. I want a 20 gallon with a betta fish and some tank mates. And also I would like to have real plants. I know I need to get:
1. 20 gallon tank
2. Heater
3. Filter
4. Light
5. Gravel (bedding)
6. Siphon
7. Plants
8. Food (variety, bloodworms (snacks), flakes, pellets ect)
9. Water conditioner
10. water tester
11. Betta fish
12. Betta fish friends
13. Thermometer

Now the problem is I am completely new to the fish world and I don't know which brands are reliable, how anything works ect. So I would like recommendations of what to get (specific brands please!) because I don't really have time to like you know, go around find the best ones, compare prices ect. I live near a Petco so all the supplies should be able to be found there. I know it's asking for a lot but it would be very helpful! Also I would like to know what plants are good for the lighting you guys suggest and what tank mates are good for one betta in a 20 gallon. I was thinking 6 cories and some snails.... but we'll see! Or if you think a 20 gallon will take away from the betta and cories then i'm open to suggestions too. Thanks eveyrone! I'm hoping to buy everything tomorrow unless you advise against that!
BarbieDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #2 
BarbieDragon

Ok I did my own research ad here is what i got

1. 20 gallon tank
2. Heater: Aqueon Pro Heaters Submersible Aquarium Heaters up to 20 gallon $27
3. Filter: Aqueon Quietflow aquarium power filter. 5-20 gallons $14
4. Light:
5. Gravel (bedding)
6. Siphon: Aqueon Siphon with Bulb Vacuum Aquarium Gravel Cleaner $13
7. Plants: Anacharis
8. Food (variety, bloodworms (snacks), flakes, pellets ect)
9. Water conditioner:Aqueon Water Conditioner $5
10. Water tester: API Freshwater Master Test Kit $26
11. Betta fish: HM Male
12. Betta fish friends: 6 cories, few mystery snails
13. Thermometer: the heater is also a thermometer
14. Salt: API Aquarium Salt $3

I don't really know what the best brands are, what is reliable and what isn't but this is what I came up with so far. I'll double check the prices on Amazon after I settle everything (brands ect according your guys' suggestions.) I also am completely lost on what lighting and tank to get. I want live plants so that would be a thing to consider for lights? Do I get the normal Petco aquariums 20 gallon long?
And last question: If I decide to get 2 male Bettas can I just divide the tank in half and have 3 cories on each side? SHould I go buy a divider or is there a thread that gives info about making my own? THank you so much!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

I can't give you help on brands as I'm not in the US (if that's where you are), but I can suggest some more plants for you. :) Java fern, java moss, anubias, lacefern, ambulia, cabomba, rotala, ludwigia and crypts are all good. :)

As for the dividing issue, I would suggest not dividing it. I would go for a male, 6 cories and 6 schooling fish, such as tetras. If you do divide it, make sure that you have a full school of 4-6 cories on each side. I'd also suggest going for the smaller species in that instance - pandas or pygmies. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #4 
BarbieDragon

I see thanks for the feedback! I think I"ll stick with the six cories, tetras and 1 male HM betta fish :)

DOes my list of stuff look ok? (the second post I put ignore the first please!)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #5 
Sakura8

For your water conditioner, I would actually recommend Seachem Prime. It neutralizes heavy metals and ammonia. Also, it's really concentrated so a little goes a long way.

If you want live plants, you'll need to get a good strong bulb that is 6500K. You can buy plant bulbs at Petco for $20 or so and they work well but if you can also buy a GE plant bulb at Wal-Mart for a lot less. The light is a little funny, though.

A 20g L would be best if you want schooling fish and cories. Also better for the betta as it's shallower. HMs have a harder time reaching the surface because their tails get so bloody big so the shallower the better.

Oh, you might want to pick up a ZooMed Betta Log at Petsmart, too. Your betta will love it.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 
scootshoot

IMHO divided 20 long looks Fugly. Stay with community as other posters mentioned
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #7 
BarbieDragon

Ok I think I'll get the Seachem prime thingy. My mom was pretty creeped out by the cories and the tetras... She barely wants a betta fish so I'm just going to get a 10 gallon with a HM betta. But the rest of the stuff should be the same right? Or should I get a weaker filter?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen

In the 10G you could still get either the cories or the tetras.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #9 
scootshoot

Ask your mom for an inbetween, shoot for a 15 gallon long. Petco recently had a 15 gallon long sale for 39 bucks that comes with fluorescent hood, heater and filter. Regular price on this setup goes for 80 bucks.

Here is mine, just purchased last weekend

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  55.2 KB
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #10 
kfryman

I would recommend the Aqueon pro heater, with any heater I would suggest a thermometer.

A 10g could have one betta and either cories or tetras. Cories are safer as they stay on the bottom. Tetras can be nippy if not in proper schools, also they and the betta occupy the same space.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote