Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #1 
Shirleythebetta

HELP! surprise betta emergency.

Hey, ten minutes ago my neighbors brought me their male betta. He was in yellow slimy water, mold was around the tank, the tank lid was dusty and my fiance couldn't hold the heater because it was so slimy. I just pulled out full algae weeds out of the bottom. I just cleaned the entire tank with steamy hot water. I have bettafix and AQ salt on hand. It's a three gallon tank with no filter. He will have a filter tonight. I need you all to look at him and give me suggestions on treatment for this poor guy. No full water changes in at least three months. It was cleaned by (not removing the betta) swishing the rocks around and dumping out half of the water and pouring in new, untreated water. HELP please. I couldn't do very well with the camera but he is active and eating and all fins are split in multiple places with the top fin showing signs of fin rot.
Attached Images

Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #2 
Laki

Yikes! How awful... Thank goodness he's in your care!
I would throw out the bettafix. It has an ingredient in it which damages the labrynth organ on bettas. I know, it's labelled for bettas and some people use it without problems but I simply wouldn't risk burning an essential organ on my betta in hopes of curing something else!!
Okay, so add 1tsp per gallon of aq salt to water. Mix it up in a separate jug to dissolve it all and keep poor betta in there. Change it daily with new aq salt solution for a maximum of 10 days. That should take care of fin rot problems and help his system get over that infectious water!
I would opt out of the filter for his healing period as well. Current flow and carbon filters might mess around with the construction of the water, you'll be cleaning it every day anyway.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

Okay, yea I will be cleaning it everyday. This is horrifying. I pulled out a stinkin piece of algae that grew into a leaf. OMG. The people actually had the nerve to say that he looked like that when they bought him. Yea, of course he did, they got him at walmart. If he was in clean water he wouldn't have still looked like that. My biggest concern right now is that he looks like he is missing a few scales on his head. Aside from the fin rot he seems decently active so I will take your suggestion. I think I may still use the filter just for tonight though in hopes of catching any thing I may have missed. For every inch of water I poured out there was at least a couple of pieces of food and poop. I am surprised he is living. Black mold circles on the lid.....
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #4 
Thomasdog

Goodness, he is gorgeous! I would say to just keep doing what you are doing. Also, you could give him some Indian Almond Leaves. I know that there are some for sale in the Classified ads. They will help him calm down and make him feel better. Good luck! Keep us posted!
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

I'll keep updating about him on this thread. He has already started to gain more red since he is now in clean water! What a difference it makes you know? Here's a big DUH for the neighbors.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #6 
Badjer

Wow good for you for rescuing him...sounds like some nasty conditions. Why would you let something in your HOME get that gross, especially something holding a living animal?! Yuck! Some IAL would be great if you have it. I'd also keep him in a dark, quiet place for a few days. Definitely keep us posted!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #7 
Laki

Ever watch Hoarders?? O.o Just as an answer to the above question. Those people have psychological problems though. Betta didn't ask for this though, the only psychological problem he has is wondering why he ended up in their home!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #8 
BettaMommy531rip

Throw out BettaFix, it has tea-tree oil in it which damages the labrynth organ of a betta. I would definitely put him on AQ salt, but you should also get some API Stress Coat Conditioner that helps with slime coat and fin regeneration as well as the overall health of a betta. I would be changing the water at least 2-3 times a week w/ a filter. If you don't get a filter change it everyday/every other day. Hope this helps. :)
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #9 
earthworm88

I would just give him good ol' super clean conditioned water for now and nothing else. It would be a shock to his system to go from extremely disgusting water to clean water in one go anyways. After a day or two, may consider adding AQ or meds if necessary. See if you can take a close up photo of his missing scales or just his head in general as I see some grayish/whitish area near his mouth (not sure if that's visual effects though).

Kudos to him for being such a tenacious betta and to you for wanting to take good care of him!

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

Thanks everybody. Here's his update. I kind of took a little advice from each of you and I am mainly just treating him with AQ salt and clean water. I am doing a partial change on his water probably tonight. He is still skiddish. I had to net him for the first time in his life prob and he doesn't like me to well. I am using a filter and it's working great, the water is crystal clear and he has changed his color a little. He is missing scales around his head and I do think the flash caused the greyness to look worse than it was. I am watching the patch though that you were talking about and I am going to shine a flash light on him when he calms to check out anything else that may be wrong. He is building bubblenest's and is more active than he was. He is flaring well and seems to be greatful to be out of that stinky water. I will try to post pics soon but he is in an unlighted circle container that stinks for pics. thank you all so much.