Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #11 
callistra

I went back on the thread to refresh my mind.. He was on it an initial 5 days and was improved to about 50% but then the meds were discontinued before he was fully well. He chose to redose after a full week of no meds instead of trying to get another med or do an immediate second round in which case it looks like it only made the strain resistant and isn't working for the second round at all, which is unfortunately what I cautioned against initially. You just can't not treat a week in the case of dropsy and that half improvement break from the meds only tends to make it more resistant.

A tumor or growth would be a localized bloat. A full body swelling as was described is not a tumor and the Maracyn wouldn't have initially taken it down so much. Sorry.

ETA: I also still don't know if it was mixed up fresh each time but black gunk growing in the mixture comment made me think it was saved and reused over and over in which case all he really got was one good dose of the stuff, unfortunately. But I agree at this point that the Maracyns probably aren't going to work anymore for whatever reason.

Last edited by callistra; 01-29-2012 at 06:40 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Unfortunately, for some people, obtaining meds is a difficult and expensive process. Some people don't live near pet stores that stock many meds or can't afford them. Danifacetastic has done the best she could under her circumstances and has tried for a long time to treat her betta.

The treatment of dropsy is always a tricky matter and each case must be treated individually as the cause of the dropsy symptom may not be the same as the last case and may not respond to the same medication, treatment, or length of treatment time. Many different diseases - not just internal bacterial infections or internal parasites - cause symptoms of dropsy. Some diseases can be treated in a short amount of time, some cannot. As hobbyists without access to scientific/medical equipment, we are often treating what we guesstimate to be the cause of the symptoms and we could be guessing wrong.

This is the hard part about treating sick fish of any kind. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #13 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
OP already stated the betta was pine coned in a previous thread.

The conservative treatment you suggest will be lethal and dropsy always requires epsoms and some type of med. Please know the problem before you make a suggestion as the OP doesn't know enough to understand you're just making a suggestion from lack of knowledge.
I have been away for a few weeks, so with no link and no prior knowledge, I based my opinion on what was stated on this thread alone. Why I asked what the medications were for. If I had known the condition then I wouldn't of made the mistake I had :) Spent most of my time on this section of the forums, need to get back into the swing of things.

I wish the OP my best, as mentioned I wasn't here for her other thread and with Sakura here, OP is in good hands.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Danifacetastic, if you can post a pic of him that would be very helpful in diagnosing him because he could have a tumor, bacterial issue, or even fatty liver. In the meantime, here is the advice OFL gives:

I would get the fish on high dose of Epsom salt 3tsp/gal, tannins and partial water changes-in a small bare QT with plastic wrap on the top to retain heat and humidity....starting with 25% every 15min for 1hour using some premixed treatment water to get the fish acclimated and then the next day start 50% daily for 3 days and on day 4 100%..repeating this schedule for 14-20 days....tannins need to be really dark amber...temp 77F-you don't want that too high with a compromised fish....

Stop usage of the Maracyn combo immediately and start on OFL's instructions. For tannins, you can use Indian Almond Leaf or clean dried oak leaves crumbled into the water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #15 
danifacetastic

Sorry for not updating guys. Thank you so much for all the help and thought. When I was treating him on Maracyn I did reuse the mixture because I didn't know I was supposed to make it fresh everyday because that'd waste a lot of medicine. I don't think it's a tumor because it IS a full body bloat. And I'm not sure what a tannin is either. I'll get a picture up in just a few minutes...he's hard to photograph though because he lays in the leaves.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #16 
danifacetastic

Do you guys think since I wasn't using the Maracyn effectively that I should try using it again but making the mixture fresh everyday? I had no idea that I couldn't store it. can someone help me on to how to make the mixture without wasting it? Because if I use the tablespoon method I'd be using a whole pack (10 gallons worth) every day.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #17 
danifacetastic

And with the leaves I've been able to find them on Ebay but it'll take 2 weeks to get here? Should I go ahead and order? What should I do until then?

And with OFL'S water change schedule...do I start over on day 5 or keep doing 100% water changes from days 5-20?

Sorry for all the trouble guys :(
Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #18 
callistra

Yep that's your typical dropsy, not an isolated tumor.

I'm really sorry nobody mentioned it needed to be mixed up fresh each day :(

Since he never actually got even half treatment with Maracyns yet you may still be able to treat with it. Everything past the first 24 or possibly 48 was worthless anyway and since you say a 50% improvement in just one dose it was probably the right med and would have worked with proper administration.

However, at this point it is a concern that the strain has become at least partially resistant as the way you administered it has a tendency to do that.. Over-medicating is really not a concern at this point since he's hardly had anything. So.. I would still suggest trying to find a different med but it's not possible at all then treatment with Maracyns, mixing up fresh each time, should still be your best bet. Tannins and epsoms aren't going to cure dropsy, but it could buy you extra time for the treatment to work. This combination will help pull the fluids off him so that the meds have time to cure him and the tannins will help reduce stress as well as possibly boosting his immune system, but again, he's not just going to fight this off on his own. I have never seen or heard of a fish coming back from dropsy without actual treatment. Also, I really don't think waiting 2 weeks is going to work for him. You can overnight stuff from Amazon.com or other fish stores but it is expensive, so if that's not an option then I would give the Maracyns mixed properly this time a shot as it would be his only shot unless you can find another med, but it's your call.

Last edited by callistra; 01-30-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #19 
callistra

You may have some luck with Furan-2 as it is very different from the Maracyns so shouldn't have any resistance and is made by API so it should be pretty easily found.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #20 
danifacetastic

How can I mix up the Maracyn without using an entire packet every day?