Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #1 
Myrtaceae

Smile Lego Alien Sorority -- Darkmoon17 fish :)

Hey everyone! I received my shipment of bettas from Darkmoon17 yesterday and everyone arrived safely. They were a bit pale at first but colored up really quickly. Everyone ate right away, so I think they took the shipping pretty well.

The whole tank:

In case you're wondering about the giant hole in the middle where a filter should be...

Well, my husband woke up me up at about 6am this morning. "Baby, we have a problem!" He saw one of the female bettas swim into the filter. "@#*%" I said, and rushed to the rescue. Turns out there were now a total of 2 bettas just chillin' inside of our filter. Filter gets turned off. I'm now in the process of silicone-ing plastic mesh over the front. Everyone is fine though.

Decorations are composed of Lego: Alien Invaders
Kits:
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Tripod-Invader-7051
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/UFO-Abduction-7052
2x http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Alien-Defender-7050
Some silk plants, 2x c. wendtii, & a whole mess of anacharis.

A few close-ups:

This gal in front is one of the most outgoing of them all. She actually likes to pose for the camera, and we have a few of her.

This red dragon gal likes to give me the stink eye.

Caught after feeding! Brine shrimp & mosquito larvae are going over well.

When I introduced the black girl on the left to the sorority, she swam right to the middle, looked straight ahead, and had a *massive* bowel movement. Stress, probably, but I like to think it represented her feelings about being shipped, lol.

We couldn't get pictures of everyone. More will come.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #2 
Tisia

lol, I think bettas love showing their appreciation of a nice clean tank by having a big old bm in it. pretty girls ^_^
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Those are gorgeous girls.
I don't really know, but their colours seem to really match the decor, imo. :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #4 
wolfiegreen

Holy cow it's legos!!! I love Legos!! How'd you come up with that?
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #5 
Myrtaceae

Thanks everyone :D. I've been reading the comments out loud to my partner-in-crime (the spouse).

As far as the legos go, I work at a Barnes & Noble, and we sell Legos. I thought the aliens looked like bettas a little bit (see it in the puffy cheeks?) and decided to build my sorority around them.

The girls seem to be getting along pretty well. Darkmoon said they were all housed in the same tank, and there is some flaring and a bit of chasing, but nobody seems to be seriously damaged. There is one really pretty small girl I wish I could get a picture of, but no luck so far.

I made the flowers by stripping the wires out of standard silk craft flowers (petco/petsmart sell the same old stuff). Someday I'll make a tutorial for that-- I did it for my older tanks too.

Some more pretty:

That's my brine shrimp! Grr.

Pretty pretty princess.

More of the Legos + Fishies:

And just one more:

I'm absolutely doting on them. My poor male is in viewing distance and attempting to build the bubblenest of a lifetime. I'll probably block his view, poor thing.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #6 
livingart

Beautiful girls and I love your decorating! What an awesome idea :) I got a pair from Darkmoon, too. Aren't they fabulous?! I fell in love with the female, Sylvia, as soon as I looked at her pugnacious little face. lol!
You have the perfect "themed" tank to compliment the dragon scales.
livingart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #7 
Daisykd

So Legos are safe for an aquarium? That's a neat idea.
Daisykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #8 
Karebear13

So jealous of you tank. Its so pretty and nice to admire!!! fish are beautiful too
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #9 
Myrtaceae

Thanks everyone :D

@Daisykd: I've read in multiple forums that legos are aquarium safe. I rinsed everything in hot water to remove any packaging funk and had at it. They float like no one's business though, so mine have quite a few weights siliconed down.

So today, dear husband wakes up (again at 6, he's insane) and finds one poor girl has swum up inside one of the decorations and is apparantly trapped! We have no idea how she managed it. I don't think there's an opening that's more than 6-7mm, but she did. No apparent fin damage either. I'm going to re-silicone over any entrances, just to be safe. Seriously though, there's a shot glass wedged up inside the only large opening and siliconed all around, and that's planted in about 1" of sand. She must be some kind of Houdini.

This is the pooper; I might add. I can tell she will be a real character.

He did snap a few pics, 'cause let' be honest, it was kinda funny. She's all safe and swimming around like normal now.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #10 
SpookyTooth

That aquarium is absolutely AWESOME! And that is pretty funny, I'm glad she wasn't injured. Gosh! Haha.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female betta, sorority