Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #1 
Toxcicle

Exclamation Betta + Catfish = ?

So I have a 30 gallon tank, currently it houses two pictus catfish and a black tip shark catfish. I want to move my poor little Betta from his small 1 gallon tank into the big tank. Pictus catfish I understand are pretty energetic but non aggressive. What has me worried is the black tip. Will my Betta be safe with him? Or is he just going to have to make due with his little 1gallon? Help and advice much appreciated!
Toxcicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #2 
bettalover2033

Well the Black Tip Catfish will end up eating the betta because usually bettas stay close to the top of the tank, but They do like to venture to the bottom occasionally and mid section. This isn't a good Idea.

Neither is having a betta in a 1 gallon a good idea. We suggest having him/her in at LEAST a 2.5 gallon. If you cannot get a 2.5 gallon, you should at least have him in a 1.5-2 gallon, but NEED to work on getting a bigger tank. Trust me the end result is easy on you and the fish itself. Also your fish will live longer with nice care maintenance.

Good Luck!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

I would agree on the black tip shark issue - a betta will be a tasty, colourful meal for a shark.
However, there are many members on here, such as DramaQueen, who successfully keep happy bettas in a 1 gallon tank. As long as it is heated and cleaned properly, it's not a massive issue. Bigger is usually better, of course, but if finances or space are a problem, a 1 gallon is hardly a torture chamber. :) I do agree that bigger tanks are easier to care for, though. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

Yes. Very little maintenance.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #5 
Toxcicle

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm happy to report that a friend of mine with 50 gallon brakish tank has agreed to take the black tip as he was looking to get a group anyhow. So my betta can move into my larger aquarium which is pure freshwater. Just to double check, the pictus catfish shouldn't cause problems right? Both are very active and my main concern at this point is if they would stress out the little guy.

Many thanks, and could anyone reccomend other tankmates? I'd like to stay away from guppies and anything resembling glo fish as my last glofish group did a number on my previous betta. Bless his little fishy heart.
Toxcicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

The pictus cats will eat any fish small enough to fit into their mouths, usually, but a betta should be too big. You could well be right about the activity levels, though - don't do it unless your betta has plenty of hiding spaces. Tall stem plants and floating plants will make him more comfortable, and a ZooMed betta log may not be a bad idea.
As for other tankmates, harlequin rasboras might work. Hopefully they'd be too big to fit in the cats' mouths, but they are pretty gentle fish and shouldn't bother your betta. Larger tetras, such as rummynose or black phantom could work, as may cherry or gold barbs (as long as they are in a big school to eliminate nipping). :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #7 
copperarabian

I've used to have a pictus catfish that had eaten a couple females that I bought, I had them for one day then overnight they would disappear O.O I no longer have the pictus.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

I wouldn't suggest rasboras as they are tetras and therefore nippers. I would suggest buying plattys because they are very gentle and usually keep to themselves which is good. Or you can get some dwarf guaramis. IME dwarf guaramis are just like bettas. They are anabantoides and a little aggressive toward their kind as well but if you have other fish in with them k keep them occupied it could work. Many would disagree with me about having guaramis in a tank with bettas but i have successfully housed 3 dwarf guaramis in a sorority and 2 dwarf guaramis with a hmpk male that kin of kept them in line.] Also some other fish like tetras and Molly's and platty`s as well. It helps if yoi are mores experienced with aggressive species.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #9 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I wouldn't suggest rasboras as they are tetras and therefore nippers.
Rasboras are not tetras. They aren't even members of the same family. I've never kept rasboras but I've read of people having success with them on here. Keeping them in the proper school size should reduce fin nipping.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #10 
bettalover2033

Please excuse my misinformation hedgehog was right. Sorry again.

Also i do get mixed up with these kind of fish because they look so much like a tetra. AND I was stupid enough to listen to an employee at my LPS. Ugh I should've known. Well thank you @hedgehog for correcting this!

Tags
betta, catfish, pictus catfish, shark