Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #1 
bettalover2033

DarkMoon17's Halfmoon Dragon Spawn

As many of you know, I recently got a pair from DarkMoon17. (AMAZING breeder and seller.)

Anyway, I am currently in the process of conditioning them. Tomorrow is Thursday so I will be revealing them to each other tomorrow as soon as I get home from school. To go on with the Documentary, I will be Recording it as well.

This is the pair:
Male
http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/...2-15201656.jpg
Female
http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/...2-15202024.jpg

This is the breeding tank. (before with the huge decor in the back):
http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/...2-17194317.jpg

Quick Question: Is it really true that snails create infusoria?

P.S. I'll update tomorrow with the releasing of the pair, recording, activity with a bubblenest, ect.

Actually I will go check now...*Goes to Check*....They are doing great! I will post the link to the youtube vid of the female
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #2 
kfryman

Very nice pair. Darkmoon17 is an amazing breeder! I was so mad when my mom said no to bettas in the mail. Are you going to be selling them? i will follow this thread seems interesting. Is the video going up on youtube?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #3 
LittleBettas

Ditto to what kfryman said.... Darkmoon is an amazing breeder, def. planning to get more bettas from her in the future!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #4 
Bambi

umm, i doubt snails do..But plants do. Getting some live plants in there would be nice for that. or you can start an infursoria culture pretty easy. I started mine the other day for the spawn i'm planning in a week.

When your fry are free swimming though a snail is nice to have. Snail poop is easier to see and siphon out then itty bitty fry poop and left overs.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #5 
monroe0704

Snails are an important part of the infusoria cycle. While they themselves do not create it, the little protoplasms from plants (infusoria) eat the snail poop. You can have perfectly fine infusoria cultures without snails, but there are many benefits to having them in a spawning tank anyways, so why not? ;)
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

@Kfryman: I know how you feel because I felt the same way when my mom said "Sorry I don't trust the internet." I was pretty mad, but then I explained that it was Christmas and such and she said "Okay, but if they don't live, it will be on you.

Yes of course I'm selling them. Yes I posted the video on youtube.

@Monroe: Thanks. I knew somehow snails brought infusoria.

@Whom it may concern:

Hello everyone! I am going to update on the pair a little later tonight after they are finished with their.....waste.

This is the video of the Female Dragon: http://youtu.be/fqdeubvzz-Q
She is so active and aggressive. She is only flaring at a mirror (she thinks it's another female) I cant imagine a male lol. I am a bit worried with this though because the male is a little more passive.

Problems:
Help DarkMoon17

From what I observed, the female is very aggressive and since she is only contained right now, she is going to have a lot of energy when she is released.
From what I observed, (THE MALES) is a little passive and are too picky with food! They refuse to eat right when I feed them. I honestly don't know what to feed them. I tried some pellets. Only when they havent eated for HOURS or a day, then they decide to eat the pellets. (Not always though). I worry that they are doing this because they are stressed, though I don't know if they are stressed because they are SPOILED rotten. They flare, but not as much as before. Especially the cull:/

If DarkMoon17 can help me with this problem, that would be greatly appreciated. She is the one that fed and kept them till this age.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 12-22-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #7 
bettalover2033

To everyone....(so there isn't any confusion, i will be breeding the back-up male to keep the red in, but i also am breeding for the dragon butterfly pattern as well. I will breed the breeder male maybe later on down the road.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #8 
tpocicat

I'll be waiting!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

Update

This male is flaring right back and he's been blowing bubbles. I really am excited about this spawn!

This is the video of the male flirting back with her. You might even be able to see here VERY Light vertical bars.

http://youtu.be/vmMoZPFeKhM

http://youtu.be/chLU6JrT3pc

And he was just working on his bubblenest last night!

http://youtu.be/GlI26O9SRD4

These two pictures are of the nest now. (It isn't very big because I turned off the light when I went to bed last night.) The first is blurry then the second its clearer.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #10 
kfryman

I hope this spawn turns out successful! Hopefully darkmoon17 will tell you so you can keep those spoiled buggers happy.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote