Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #1 
Mikaris111

Breeding help!

Hi! so me and my roommate bought these two really pretty betta fish named Mufasa and Sarabi. We're new to this so we need some help.

I have done a lot of research and reading because we planned on mating them. We conditioned them for a week or so and whatnot. We finally put them together overnight and nothing happened and we took her out. His nest started to dissipate but I read some articles and thought maybe we'd been to hasty to separate them so we put them back together.

Then the next night, they finally spawned! but i didn't see any eggs!!! dropping, on the ground, or in the nest! and they embraced a lot...

So, my question is, is this normal? Should we condition them for a week or two and then try again? How long are you supposed to wait between spawnings?
Mikaris111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 
Creat

First off I never recommend breeding fish unless you have had them for over a month, second what method are you using, and third how did you condition them?
Breeding fish takes care and a lot of time you and wind up with hundreds of babies if you do it right. Also somtimes it takes many many times for fish to learn how to embrace if you have done more research it should have stated somewhere that first time fish can take up to days to learn.
I recommend reading the stickies at the top of the threads, they have some good info.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #3 
Bambi

EDIT to add: I agree on the month things. This gives them time to settle and you time to look for signs of illness or parasites.

Either you didn't see the eggsat the time(check the nest now by shining a lightup at it) or the female didn't have any ready to drop.

Separate, condition for two weeks. Use the two weeks to read up some more on the breeding process and get ready for the fry. :)

What set up do you have?

How didyou condition them?

What food do you have for the fry?
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #4 
Mikaris111

Alright. We'll give them more time.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #5 
Creat

If you have pics we might be able to help more :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 
Mikaris111

10 gallon with plants and a heater and floating stuff for nest that he seems to like. cant really put pix up cuz cameras being uncooperative. He's rebuilding his nest.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #7 
Bambi

Sounds good.
Is the tank bare bottom? sometimes eggs can get caught between rocks/gravel.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #8 
Mikaris111

ya, theres nothing on the ground. we FINALLY got them to spawn and shes EATING ALL OF THE EGGS! lol will she eat all of them?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #9 
BettaBreeder

If she is done spawning and releasing the eggs, you should remove her to her own tank again, and that way the male can pick up the eggs and put them back in the nest. I'm not sure if she'd eat them all, probably not if the male's already putting some back in the nest. But if they're done spawning you need to remove her or the male could kill her while trying to protect the nest.

I'm new to breeding Bettas too, but I've been raising fish for about 10 years and I've been doing a TON of research on Betta breeding! :P There's some great articles on this site about breeding them. (I hope it's ok if i post this link, if not the moderators can remove it). http://www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-Breedingmain.htm

I hope that helps!
BettaBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #10 
Bambi

Some females eat them.If she ate them all, and does so again should you try to re-breed her in time. Then you may need a different female.

Bettaterretory is a GREAT site. You can also look at their past spawns and see what they get from different color/tail combinations.