Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #41 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheyp View Post
wouldnt this cause an amonia spike?
Which is why it's important to cycle a tank beforehand, so the filter can handle it. Live plants help as well.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #42 
zacheyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Which is why it's important to cycle a tank beforehand, so the filter can handle it. Live plants help as well.
but if i cycle (which of corse i will do) and have lots of plants i can safley add all 6 at once?
zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #43 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes, the bioload should adjust to it.
Also betta are hardy and could survive a small ammonia bounce. The other tank mates, the shrimp you want, will have to be added after everything is well adjusted.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #44 
MistersMom

ive had a mollie as a tank mate! my 5 gallon sorority is fine i have ALOT of things for them to hide in, they are also QUITE small i was surprised, i can also put my 2 males in my other 1 gallon tanks i have if that willl make you happy, especially sense i bought them in a tiny cup, i think they have good room, but thanks for the concerns...but right now they have about 2 gallons to themselves and they are heated well and have good lighting and filters, i meant the small goldfish with the weird fins, i dont mean like the bait goldfish those are quite large im sorry for my terrible wording! i meant otos btw, not plecos, plecos get farrrr too large for a 10 gallon!!!!! i included that guppies were nippy i thought, and i thought i also said agressiveness has a large factor of it all, maybe next time i should put more detail in.....not ANY fish will get along with a betta, i ment listed species and maybe a few more i forgot, the kind that school and keep away from bettas, wich i admitidlly did not include..... it actually all matters on your certain fish... and my sorority isnt quite measured but my males are even so my females may be ina 6 gallon portion, i undeerstand your worries, once we move wich should be soon, i will buy another 10 gallon, seeing as they are quite cheap, and ill divide that into my males tank! i wont harm my fish, they are quite happy, no torn fins no picking on eachother thank goodness, thank you ALL for your advice and i dont know what the fish was, but it had a 3 split tail, it was very small, and i had about 4 in my turtle tank...... but they are nippy so i would just all forget about them! sorry if you didnt like my advice, but this is what i have personly experienced and what i have researched, and ive even gone to pet stores and asked, i like fish they are a calming hobby and i enjoy it..... so if you feel i was wrong, im verry sorrry!!!! your experiences may differ, and like i said it would start a hate train... i was right..... but i leanred some from it so thanks, and i hope Zacheyp learned alot too! im actually glad i posted this because now no one else will make the same mistake of posting something of the sort...i hope...

AND plus, i think they are muuuuuch happier right now in my heated tank then they were in their walmart cups! because they have fresh clean water, get fed, and they can actually swimmm!!! im sorry if you feel my sorority is in too small a space....

Last edited by MistersMom; 01-30-2012 at 06:54 PM.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #45 
zacheyp

do you think i could get a 7th betta
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #46 
AngelicScars

It's best to have no more then 6 female bettas in a 10 gallon. It's been said more then once.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #47 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
ive had a mollie as a tank mate! my 5 gallon sorority is fine i have ALOT of things for them to hide in, they are also QUITE small i was surprised, i can also put my 2 males in my other 1 gallon tanks i have if that willl make you happy, especially sense i bought them in a tiny cup, i think they have good room, but thanks for the concerns...but right now they have about 2 gallons to themselves and they are heated well and have good lighting and filters, i meant the small goldfish with the weird fins, i dont mean like the bait goldfish those are quite large im sorry for my terrible wording! i meant otos btw, not plecos, plecos get farrrr too large for a 10 gallon!!!!! i included that guppies were nippy i thought, and i thought i also said agressiveness has a large factor of it all, maybe next time i should put more detail in.....not ANY fish will get along with a betta, i ment listed species and maybe a few more i forgot, the kind that school and keep away from bettas, wich i admitidlly did not include..... it actually all matters on your certain fish... and my sorority isnt quite measured but my males are even so my females may be ina 6 gallon portion, i undeerstand your worries, once we move wich should be soon, i will buy another 10 gallon, seeing as they are quite cheap, and ill divide that into my males tank! i wont harm my fish, they are quite happy, no torn fins no picking on eachother thank goodness, thank you ALL for your advice and i dont know what the fish was, but it had a 3 split tail, it was very small, and i had about 4 in my turtle tank...... but they are nippy so i would just all forget about them! sorry if you didnt like my advice, but this is what i have personly experienced and what i have researched, and ive even gone to pet stores and asked, i like fish they are a calming hobby and i enjoy it..... so if you feel i was wrong, im verry sorrry!!!! your experiences may differ, and like i said it would start a hate train... i was right..... but i leanred some from it so thanks, and i hope Zacheyp learned alot too! im actually glad i posted this because now no one else will make the same mistake of posting something of the sort...i hope...

AND plus, i think they are muuuuuch happier right now in my heated tank then they were in their walmart cups! because they have fresh clean water, get fed, and they can actually swimmm!!! im sorry if you feel my sorority is in too small a space....
Just because it's a few steps up from a cup doesn't make it good conditions. "Anything" is not better than a cup. Those may be your experiences but they are way outside the norm and could easily lead to disaster if someone else follows your advice.

5g is too small for a sorority and shouldn't be given as advice because it is far more likely to end with dead fish than happy ones. It is standard advice to advocate 6ish females in a 10+ tank, especially for inexperienced keepers. Your setup might be working, but looking at my ten gallon divided for two males, I simply can't imagine halving that and stuffing females in there.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #48 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

There are general guidelines for these things that should be followed. Bioloads, aggression levels, compatibilities, requirements, swimming zones. Fish keeping should be viewed as a delicate science, or even art form, where one seeks to create a harmony in their area.
What you're saying is just like how people can get their betta to live in a 1/2 gallon unheated tank for 3 years and think they know everything and their way is the right way..
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #49 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post

I really don't think anyone was trying to be rude or mean. They are just trying to correct misinformation. When there is incorrect information on this site someone may see it and just take it at face value. This can result in improper care of bettas or their tankmates, housing mistakes, or incompatible fish being housed together. I know that I would like to prevent any of that from happening which is why I was pointing out what was incorrect in your original statement.

Just because you have done something doesn't mean it is recommended. Yes there have been successes in keeping bettas with incompatible tank mates or in poor conditions but that doesn't mean it should be done or the idea that it is the norm should be passed on.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #50 
zacheyp

i read that more bettas are better,,, do u think i could get 7?