Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

Can't decide..what do you fish experts think?

So I have a ten gallon divided two times for 3 fish. I have Koi on one end. He is still not eating -_- and I am putting Sakura in the middle, and will eventually put another male in the end. (Going to see if I can convince my sister to give up blinky if I buy her a pink fish...I think she will go for it haha) so I am thinking having Sakura in the middle with field off some aggression that may have arisen if I put a strange male and Koi next to each other. But being the fact that Koi still isn't eating should I wait to put Sakura in the tank? Sakura is in perfect health and is very active so I think she will really enjoy having more space to explore. But I am worried it may stress Koi out even more. So should I wait for him to settle in more, or would it be okay to add Sakura in? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I would also like to point out I do know the risks of housing males and females in close proximity, and will be very careful. And I also know the female can and more then likely will become very eggy.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 
a123andpoof

Now as I am thinking about it, maybe I will move Koi to the middle...maybe he doesn't like being on the end...he is always chasing the glass and that does seem to be what is stressing him out a bit...time to give it a shot...
Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #3 
fishy friend2

I would out the koi in the middle if I were you, but why I'd a koi in a 10 gallon tank? Is it quarentine? You know that kois get to 3 feet on average and the minimum pond size is 500-1,000 gallons
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy friend2 View Post
I would out the koi in the middle if I were you, but why I'd a koi in a 10 gallon tank? Is it quarentine? You know that kois get to 3 feet on average and the minimum pond size is 500-1,000 gallons

Pretty sure Koi is the name of their betta. lol!!
Gizmothefreaky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #5 
a123andpoof

Lol yes Koi is the name of my betta. Odd name I know, but when i got him I couldn't get the name out of my head. Sorry for confusion. Anyways I did put him in the middle, and he just hugs the back of the tank. Though he does come out when he hears my voice, but still won't eat. Hopefully soon
Old 01-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #6 
fishy friend2

Oops sorry XD
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

I don't know may be i am paranoid, but i would not put healthy active with fish that you don’t know if it healthy. May be i am overreacting but you never know if fish has some kind of infection. Even if he don't have any visual symptoms. Better be careful now then sorry later. Also is Koi active or he is lethargic?

I know when you bring new fish from the store it need time to adjust to new environment, water etc..but still…if you can wait until you really know that there is nothing wrong with Koi.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #8 
a123andpoof

He is very active! He is all over the tank, though tends to stay near the glass which is why I moved him to the middle. He still stays near the back, but he seems less stressed. And I think he ate some flakes this morning. I am sure he is healthy as other than not eating he acts like a healthy fish should. I haven't moved Sakura in yet, but am thinking about doing that today. Both are healthy, just wasn't sure if it would stress Koi out to move him around again, but I think he likes the middle better. I don't think he liked all the coming and going that can go on in my room, were Sakura loves it. But if I find he eats tonight then Sakura is going in the tank as I feel she needs more room than the one gallon offers. Koi is just a picky eater and there is really nothing I can do about it as I have 3 different types of food. If he doesn't like it tough he'll just have to get used to it.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

Some betta like that. I have betta refused pellets for long time to the point when i fast him. I really don't like flakes and i read that is not enough i love pellets. I have 3 different types of the pellets. I also feeding them with freeze dried blood worms, brine shrimp, cooked shrimp.

But i really don’t like food on the bottom of the tank because it contaminate the water. All food that I feed them pretty fast sinking to the bottom while they eating it.So I feed them regularly with pellets and the day when i do 100% water changes i feed with other food. Cooked shrimp they will grab from your finger unless they miss it.

Looks like Koi healthy just adjusting :). Don't let him trick you with food though :)
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #10 
a123andpoof

Haha yeah I hate flakes and I also have freeze dried blood worms. Anyways Sakura is now acclimating. A unexpected purchase made it mandatory...