Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #91 
Amphibianite
Member
 
Amphibianite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Oregon
BettaLover - thanks ^_^. Nope those are not guppies, those are white clouds. I have the tank at about 70 for them. I will take them out, at least as many as I can find then put them a 5 gal(to start with) to start breeding them. I am using them to start cycling the tank so the poor fry don't have it cycle on them, or at least that is my excuse and reasoning haha.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #92 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
BettaLover - thanks ^_^. Nope those are not guppies, those are white clouds. I have the tank at about 70 for them. I will take them out, at least as many as I can find then put them a 5 gal(to start with) to start breeding them. I am using them to start cycling the tank so the poor fry don't have it cycle on them, or at least that is my excuse and reasoning haha.
Oh. I have never heard of the name White Cloud in terms of fish before lol. Are they in the same family as the tetras? They seem to have all the fins that tetras have.

I hear that it's hard to breed tetras and other small fish (like white clouds) because of how difficult it can be to determine the sex. Is this true?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #93 
Amphibianite
Member
 
Amphibianite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Oregon
They are actually cooler water minnows(65-72 degrees but can handle warmer and even down to the 40s.). I was reading they are pretty easy to take care of, and breed, besides one of my LFS sells em for 20 cents each haha
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #94 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
They are actually cooler water minnows(65-72 degrees but can handle warmer and even down to the 40s.). I was reading they are pretty easy to take care of, and breed, besides one of my LFS sells em for 20 cents each haha
You see fish that are priced like this...You just HAVE to buy them! I know I have this problem a lot!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #95 
Amphibianite
Member
 
Amphibianite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Yeah, just can't pass up a good deal like that. besides they are cute and cool little fish. Also could be good live food for things too. I was reading they are great community fish no aggression at all. Males may flare some, but that is the end of it.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #96 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
They are fish that FLARE?!!? I never heard of another fish that can flare. Do they need to be in groups? Also they would be nice in a sorority tank.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #97 
Amphibianite
Member
 
Amphibianite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Yeah I bet they would be good in a sorority...if the girls didn't eat them lol. They don't get that big.
Yeah I read somewhere that they can flare...
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #98 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
Yeah I bet they would be good in a sorority...if the girls didn't eat them lol. They don't get that big.
Yeah I read somewhere that they can flare...
I am the SAME way when getting a fish. I always do so much research and for some reason love to read about fish. If they don't get that big, then they might just be bullied to the point of death since female bettas can really be "mean" at times. I would get tons of them and put them in a 10-15 gallon.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #99 
Amphibianite
Member
 
Amphibianite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Central Oregon
Yeah, I may pick up a new 10 gal eventually. Right now the 12 I have will have to survive in a 5 gal when I take them out of the betta breeding tanks.
here is some info I found on them
http://finatics.hubpages.com/hub/fis...untain-minnows

edits.
Here is a great article on them that does mention flaring in the breeding section.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-on-Wh...ing&id=5566847

Last edited by Amphibianite; 02-13-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #100 
bettalover2033
Member
 
bettalover2033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
Yeah, I may pick up a new 10 gal eventually. Right now the 12 I have will have to survive in a 5 gal when I take them out of the betta breeding tanks.
here is some info I found on them
http://finatics.hubpages.com/hub/fis...untain-minnows

edits.
Here is a great article on them that does mention flaring in the breeding section.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-on-Wh...ing&id=5566847
They are great sources. I just wonder...Would they actually have their gills come out like bettas? Or is it just the widening of their fins?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first spawn Mohan85 Breeding Betta Fish 57 10-07-2011 09:09 PM
1st spawn Spawn log CT Female and HM male. vette91 Breeding Betta Fish 5 08-27-2011 07:44 PM
XD My Spawn XD MadMay Breeding Betta Fish 31 01-03-2011 11:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.