Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #131 
bettalover2033

Haha I stated many times, my thoughts after 1am are either nonsense or dangerous.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #132 
tpocicat

I've used live blackworms for awhile now. They work really well. My adult bettas love them. I also give them to my tetras. Not only are they good for conditioning, they make a wonderful treat at other times.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #133 
Amphibianite

Thanks for the info Tpocicat. Glad to know they work as well as I am hoping they will haha. Hmm I will have to give some to my tetras then too.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #134 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I've used live blackworms for awhile now. They work really well. My adult bettas love them. I also give them to my tetras. Not only are they good for conditioning, they make a wonderful treat at other times.
How long do they live?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #135 
Amphibianite

So its been awhile so here is an update.
I have gotten, my worms, and eels in, and am, currently trying to get the cultures going full bore. Now here is my current problem. While the eels are thriving, the worms have not changed state since arrival. I think I will put them in a new medium today and see how that react. I was trying the mash potato method, but so far it doesn't seem to be working. Anyone have any suggestions?
In other news I wrote I was using white clouds to get my breeding tank ready, well I had a rather curious thing begin to happen. They started vanishing, literally vanishing. I started off with 12 over the course of the two weeks or so I was down to two. I have no idea what happened to them, all I can think is that they died and the snail ate the corpses before I could find them.

So I have set up an experiment. Over the course of this week or so will see what happens. I have bought another 5 minnows and put the remaining two and the new five in new 5 gal set up. Heavily planted(for a 5 gal) gravel, all very nice. 2 mystery snails and 3 small albino corys(in there short term really).

I then have purchased 2 cheap feeder gold fish for the breeder tank. Which is heavily planted and has 3 mystery snails in it.

This experiment is to see if it is tank or the fish that is the problem. If the minnows are sick and are dying in the new tank but everything else is fine then I know it is the minnows. If the gold fish die then I know something is wrong with the tank/water and the snails are not being affected.
This will allow me to determine if the tank is safe for usage for breeder as I believe it is, or if it is not I need to set up another tank. Now only time will tell.

This has been your spawn log update for the day.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #136 
tpocicat

I buy 1 oz at of black worms at time, they live several weeks, I change the water in the bag they come in using declorinated water.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #137 
Amphibianite

Well it has been a long road to this point, but I think I am going to introduce the pair into the breeding tank tomorrow.
I am starting a second culture of both the eels and the worm mixture today or tomorrow, to make sure I will have a lot of them going. My worm culture is getting well established at this point, and my current eel culture while smaller is thriving, so hopefully by dividing and establishing more I will create enough for fry food. I will be making BBS hatcheries tomorrow as well in preperation to starting them up.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:44 AM   #138 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphibianite View Post
Well it has been a long road to this point, but I think I am going to introduce the pair into the breeding tank tomorrow.
I am starting a second culture of both the eels and the worm mixture today or tomorrow, to make sure I will have a lot of them going. My worm culture is getting well established at this point, and my current eel culture while smaller is thriving, so hopefully by dividing and establishing more I will create enough for fry food. I will be making BBS hatcheries tomorrow as well in preperation to starting them up.
Well we all look forward to pictures when they are introduced.

Also as someone who uses BBS throughout the whole fry food feedings, I would suggest starting the BBS hatchery after the fry hit 4-5 days old since BBS are really at their highest nutritious point for the first day and couple of hours. Though they aren't just worthless after that first day. I use them even after 3-4 days because mine have lasted that long more so. For others, I have always heard that they die easily, but mine last me a while.

I usually wait a whole week until feeding them ( many breeders are against it, but it's what works for me) because they seem to be a lot more ready to eat and their instincts kick in because they are hungry fish.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #139 
Amphibianite

Thanks for the Tips BL2033
I can't wait to get started here. I am sitting at a buddies house in town because I had an event late into last night. So I will be heading home and getting ready.
Expect pictures and I will have the video camera ready and waiting to try to catch my first spawn on video.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #140 
bettalover2033

I am the same way! I always have my camera ready, but usually they never stay still until they are embracing.

We can't wait for pictures soon!