Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #191 
Amphibianite

I guess I am just super paranoid. This is my first spawn after all.
I have been using magnification and havent seen anything. I guess I will be stressed till I see fry with my own eyes haha.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #192 
indjo
TFK Moderator

LOL. This is your first spawn. I've done tons of spawns and I still get paranoid if I don't see fry. Btw, I'm in the same shoes - waiting on fry to hatch. Thus far I can't see anything when I'm suppose to see tons of free swimmers..... the tanks has dark glass floor and back and the sides are covered so the tank looks quite dark.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #193 
bettalover2033

Oh dear! I'm sure every breeder has gone through the same thing. It is truly nerve racking and very annoying when you realize you must recondition and wait another week for the pair to be ready.

Im sure you are in the place of First time "jitters". As indjo said, even more experience breeders have the nerves take a toll on them for a while. Its the qualities of breeding.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #194 
Amphibianite

Yep, well as I said I will give up to a week, see if I can see them, put in Vinger Eels, and multiworm culture. See if they are eating. I will recondition my pair during this time. At the very least I will be helping them recover from this. My female is great just her anal fin is a bit torn, and a few scale are missing. Over all she got off very light.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #195 
Amphibianite

Should I remove my male? He isn't tending nest at the moment, all he is doing since I got home today is sleeping on plants. He looks like he is dead, but he isn't I had to check once to make sure. So the question is do I leave him in and hope for the best, or remove him and start feeding him more live foods and helping him recover up.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #196 
bettalover2033

At this point I would say to keep him in there for another day or so. Also stay away from the take for a little while. I tend to try to find everything wrong with it by looking and observing too hard. So I think you may be doing this.

Try to occupy yourself and check on them every 1 1/2-2 hours or so. It will be easier for you that way. I know it is your first spawn and everything, but try to calm yourself if possible LOL.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #197 
Amphibianite

Okay then haha, I know I may be paranoid. I just wanted to make sure he is doing alright. I would hate to have no fry and find out I killed my male by not pulling him sooner. Besides that I am perfectly relaxed.
Believe it or not I am finding space to set up another tank and actually getting ready to breed my blue marble pair. (Which will be several weeks or so till I am ready to)
I have had a fire lit under me. I have lost some of my stunning boys who I wanted to breed from the moment I got them. I don't want to miss my chance to breed some of the others. I nearly lost my DTHM boy Thoth, so when he is recovered I will be breeding him with my cambo HM girl Motoko. I nearly lost her to a serious culmnarious infection. It actually took her eye.

But yeah, I know I am paranoid haha.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #198 
bettalover2033

Well I think that with being a new breeder, for both the fish and the human, it is very stressful even after breeding many pairs and raising many spawns.

I heard that you had a big infection and sicknesses of the bettas. I'm glad you are helping them recover and hopefully they will be ready in those few weeks.

I can't wait f0r the DTHM pair!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #199 
bettasusa

Amphibianite, this log is amazing! very well kept! Even though I haven't done one yet, it seems like you've got it! As for a few tips. Micros like warmth, I like to put mine on top of the fridge close to the back where the heat radiates. You will see your micros swarm. Get Frozen BBS instead of live and always offer them with the Micros. Many people will tell you NOT to do water changes for at least two weeks. Well guess what, I do water changes starting the first few days after the babies are free swimming! Do them daily! and watch ur babies grow literally overnight! Keep dad in there until they are free swimming nicely, you can feed him a bit too but I usually will not do this because he should have been conditioned, (nice n fat) before the spawning. Next spawn, don't use plants, nothing at all. But do get some 2 liter bottles and fill them with aquarium water and put them in the sunlight, (on a window sill), closed tight. Let them get sunlight and when you notice the babies add about a quarter of this, (should be green by then). This will feed them for a little while, especially the older fry who will be free swimming hours before the last eggs laid. But remember, the most you should go without a water change is 1 week! Get them accustomed to water changes, only the strongest and healthiest you want to survive and this will prove that. The thais get their babies grown in 2.5-3 months, why because they know how to literally change 90% of the water, practically if not daily. Keep 1 gallon jugs ready to go from overnight, and make sure ur heater is working in good order. No need to worry about the water temp being exactly the same when doing the changes. The babies won't get shocked if you do it gradually through the air line tubing.

My way of changing for tiny babies is like this. Sponge filter, add extra tubing to the filter and and do a gravity suction from there. No fry will be taken away, no hassles. Then gallon by gallon, just use gravity method again with air tubing and refill. Week 1, 1 gallon take out, 1.5 gallon add back in. week 2, 2 gallon take out, 3 gallon add back in. week three top to 90% changes and watch those babies grow by the morning! If you need a video I will show you what Im talking about, no problem. Lui

P.S. Love the Amphibianite name! Awesome!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:53 AM   #200 
Amphibianite

Yep I can not wait to get Thoth up to full health and ready to breed. He really is one my pride and joys.

Thank you for the advice BettaUsa ^_^. I really do appreciate it.
I will have to try some of that, sounds like it will be a great way to what works best for me. I love the tips you gave. I crave every bit of info I can get on this subject haha.

Thanks about the name haha. I was looking for something unique :P