Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #1 
hopegill

Could my betta have a disease?

My betta has been having a hard time eating for several weeks now. When he tries to eat his pellets or worms he cannot get them into his mouth. It is like he cannot get his mouth open wide enough and then he has to gulp for air which leaves a huge bubble at the surface of the water. He tries so hard and every now and then he can wrestle a pellet into his mouth but it is a sight. His tank is clean, I use sea salt and ick preventer when changing out the water- as well as a chlorine neutralizer....I have treated the water with antibiotics too. Does anyone have ANY idea what could be wrong?

Thanks!
hopegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: Could my betta have a disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopegill
My betta has been having a hard time eating for several weeks now. When he tries to eat his pellets or worms he cannot get them into his mouth. It is like he cannot get his mouth open wide enough and then he has to gulp for air which leaves a huge bubble at the surface of the water. He tries so hard and every now and then he can wrestle a pellet into his mouth but it is a sight. His tank is clean, I use sea salt and ick preventer when changing out the water- as well as a chlorine neutralizer....I have treated the water with antibiotics too. Does anyone have ANY idea what could be wrong?

Thanks!
Welcome to Fishforum.com.

I would like to point out there is no need for you to add sea salt. Also, sea salt is far different from the aquarium salt we used as treatment for certain diseases. Sea salt have effects unnecessary for the aquarium where freshwater is concerned.

What antibiotics did you use? Don't use anything more unless you really know what exactly is the problem. What are your water parameters? Size of tank? Any tankmates?
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #3 
MegK

the way u described how he eats sounds pretty normal, its the way that the bettas mouth is placed and shaped it does that do that part isnt an issue
MegK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #4 
hopegill

My betta, which I have had for almost two years now, is in a 2 gallon tank and he lives alone. I treated the water with Maracyn-Two since he gasps for air and his activity decreased.
Thanks!
hopegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #5 
MegK

bettas breathe air from the surface, so he sounds perfectly fine
MegK is offline   Reply With Quote