Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #1 
MaxGreenMDE

There is definitely something wrong..

Instead of trying to describe what's up I just took a video..

and btw i didn't do 100% water change just partial water change and the tank has been running since wednesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V-EFVQID-Q
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 
Myates

Handsome boy you have..

It looks to be as if he has fin rot going on, possible fin melt.

Is that a 10 gallon tank? How often do you do water changes, and the % of water when you do? Or is it a new tank that was set up last Wed?
If it is a new tank, did his fins look like that before you placed him in there? And if so, what size tank and the water change schedule was the old one?
What tablet did you place in there?

For fin rot you are going to want to place him in a QT container or small tank - half gallon and up - something easy for you to do daily 100% water changes while in treatment.

It's pretty severe so I recommend starting out doing 2 teaspoons of Aquarium Salt per gallon (dissolve it in water before adding your guy in it otherwise you will risk burning him), daily 100% water changes with new treated water- you have to do the daily water changes, if not then over exposing and over salting could easily cause internal damage. Treatment for no longer then 10 days.
Even a smaller tupperware container that you can float/tape to the inside of the tank to keep it warm will work. Making sure there is a cover over it so he won't jump- plastic cover with slight ventilation or seran wrap taped over it with holes punched in.
You can use an empty and clean gallon water jug to help premix the solution to make water changes easier on you.
Don't forget the water conditioner.

I recommend using liquid water conditioner if that is what the tablets are for- they are clear and work instantly. For a tank that size I recommend 30-50% water change per week with weekly vacuuming of the bottom to remove debris.
New larger tanks like that will become cloudy as they are trying to set up a cycle- test your water with a kit or take it into a Petsmart/PetCo and get it tested for free often and regularly.. it can take weeks for a proper cycle to establish, but in the meantime you can have jumps in ammonia/nitrate/ites that can become harmful and when they happen you will have to do a water change.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 
MaxGreenMDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Handsome boy you have..

It looks to be as if he has fin rot going on, possible fin melt.

Is that a 10 gallon tank? How often do you do water changes, and the % of water when you do? Or is it a new tank that was set up last Wed?
If it is a new tank, did his fins look like that before you placed him in there? And if so, what size tank and the water change schedule was the old one?
What tablet did you place in there?

For fin rot you are going to want to place him in a QT container or small tank - half gallon and up - something easy for you to do daily 100% water changes while in treatment.

It's pretty severe so I recommend starting out doing 2 teaspoons of Aquarium Salt per gallon (dissolve it in water before adding your guy in it otherwise you will risk burning him), daily 100% water changes with new treated water- you have to do the daily water changes, if not then over exposing and over salting could easily cause internal damage. Treatment for no longer then 10 days.
Even a smaller tupperware container that you can float/tape to the inside of the tank to keep it warm will work. Making sure there is a cover over it so he won't jump- plastic cover with slight ventilation or seran wrap taped over it with holes punched in.
You can use an empty and clean gallon water jug to help premix the solution to make water changes easier on you.
Don't forget the water conditioner.

I recommend using liquid water conditioner if that is what the tablets are for- they are clear and work instantly. For a tank that size I recommend 30-50% water change per week with weekly vacuuming of the bottom to remove debris.
New larger tanks like that will become cloudy as they are trying to set up a cycle- test your water with a kit or take it into a Petsmart/PetCo and get it tested for free often and regularly.. it can take weeks for a proper cycle to establish, but in the meantime you can have jumps in ammonia/nitrate/ites that can become harmful and when they happen you will have to do a water change.
Thanks that's what I was scared it might be.

The tablet was a water clarifier, i just picked up some accu clear today and put it in to get the cloudy stuff to go away and before i put it in was when i noticed his fins acting funny.

I think the tablet is what caused all that debris it wasn't there before i put it in.

I'll pick up the aq salt tomorrow
Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #4 
Myates

I would do some large water changes while he is in treatment to clear up the tablet, or vacuum it out- the cloudiness is basically what some call New Tank Syndrome- it's just trying to establish a cycle. While he is in treatment, daily just toss in a tiny bit of food into the tank to keep it going- just do a vacuum/water change before placing him back in his home.

If the water becomes cloudy in the future, just do a water change, 10-15% should be fine, if it doesn't help then 24 hrs later do another. Normally that is all it takes.. but once the tank settles down and bacteria is healthy then you shouldn't have that problem. You may want to toss in some sort of substrate or more plants for the bacteria to grow on to help it out some.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #5 
Myates

Here is a link to help you understand the cycle process a little bit- sometimes it's best just to do the easiest thing (such as a simple water change) then mess with chemicals.. more trouble then they are worth heh.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #6 
MaxGreenMDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0RVCwLjRE
Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #7 
Myates

The silver belly is normal, comes and goes as the belly extends with food.

From the videos I have seen no indication of velvet. With velvet you will see gold/rust covering his body, not to mention he will be darting and scratching all the time against things.

Current is a little strong in that one space, between that and his fins being rotted together, makes it a little difficult to swim for him.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #8 
MaxGreenMDE

The current is baffled I promise! I used the water bottle method stated on this forum. If there is more that I can do to baffle it more then please let me know. I don't get why he's a weirdo and likes to "challenge" himself by swimming directly against it on purpose. He knows where it's at and most times avoids it but sometimes gets a little brave i guess
Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #9 
MaxGreenMDE

he's gotten much worse now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSn5e-OWoI
Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 
callistra

Gray belly is not normal unless he's old and it's a sign of stress.

He's still in the tank.. move to qt as suggested? You can also float a cup in there in the meantime if you don't have anything else. Just get him out of the water.. maybe do half tank water and half new water as not to shock and continue from there.

As you cycle you really need to be monitoring ammonia carefully and it's likely at this point it may have spiked and be too hard on him. If the filter is too strong you may need to find another one or add a valve on the airline to reduce flow until he's okay. What water conditioner are you using?

Last edited by callistra; 01-29-2012 at 05:34 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote