Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #1 
WDW Donna

New Female save from Petsmart

Hello My name is Donna and I have a betta addiction!
I was only going in for a test kit and came home with this poor overlooked female. I think she is a VT, and I am not sure what happened to her tail.
I was going to put her in my split tank with Poly, but I think I will QT her for now and make sure she is ok. Will her tail grow back?

The picture doesn't do her any justice. In the light she has some gold flecks on her back and tail.
Attached Images

WDW Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 
lexylex0526

Hey Donna!
I'm lexy:) and I to have a betta addiction...Wow she is a beauty! Have any names picked out yet? I can't really tell you what happened to her tail, but I can tell you that it will evantually grow back!:) Bentley (one of my bettas) was in a fight and lost most of his tail, only a few strands seemed to be left. But after the proper care and love he is currently recovering and growing more and more of a tail each day! To ensure that your betta is healthy I would recomend that you moniter her closely over the next few days and give her a stable and clean enviroment. :) :) :)
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #3 
WDW Donna

I am preparing her for a temporary new home right now. It will have to be a bowl for a few days until I put the divider back in Poly's tank then she can have a friend .
My daughter said she looked like a flower (her betta's name is Lily) so I have decided to call her Fleur.
I hope her tail grows back, I think it will come in pretty. I have never seen fin rot before and I was wondering if that is what is wrong with her tail or she was handled roughly.

Last edited by WDW Donna; 01-30-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 
lexylex0526

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Donna View Post
I am preparing her for a temporary new home right now. It will have to be a bowl for a few days until I put the divider back in Poly's tank then she can have a friend .
My daughter said she looked like a flower (her betta's name is Lily) so I have decided to call her Fleur.
Okay:) just make sure she stays warm:) and thats a really pretty name!
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #5 
Tappy4me

Pretty girl :)
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #6 
WDW Donna

So, here is Fleur in her temporary home. Even though it is only a fishbowl it is better than the little cup on the betta shelf at Petsmart! I am putting her in a split tank with my other female, Poly, so I just want to make sure she is OK before I make them roommates.
Attached Images

Last edited by WDW Donna; 01-30-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #7 
styggian

5g isn't big enough, you need at least a 10g with 5-6 females to spread out aggression.

She'll be pretty once her tail grows back!
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Styg - it's going to be divided, so it will be ok. :)

The key to growing back damaged tails is clean, warm water. Keep the temperature at at least 80F, but 82 is better. The extra heat speeds up their metabolism a little bit, which leads to faster healing. I'd also do double the necessary water changes. :) Using either StressCoat OR aquarium salt can help, but it isn't necessary. Indian Almond Leaf is also great, if you can get hold of it. :)
Don't be tempted to use medications such as Bettafix or it's evil cousins Melafix and Pimafix.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #9 
WDW Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
5g isn't big enough, you need at least a 10g with 5-6 females to spread out aggression.

She'll be pretty once her tail grows back!
You must have read my post before I edited it. I did ask about a 5gal sorority, but was browsing on the forums a bit and saw it was a bad idea.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #10 
WDW Donna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Styg - it's going to be divided, so it will be ok. :)

The key to growing back damaged tails is clean, warm water. Keep the temperature at at least 80F, but 82 is better. The extra heat speeds up their metabolism a little bit, which leads to faster healing. I'd also do double the necessary water changes. :) Using either StressCoat OR aquarium salt can help, but it isn't necessary. Indian Almond Leaf is also great, if you can get hold of it. :)
Don't be tempted to use medications such as Bettafix or it's evil cousins Melafix and Pimafix.
Thanks for the info. I am glad it will grow back. I saw her on the shelf in her cup pushed to the back and figured she would be there a while since her fins weren't as nice as the others. Figured she is a diamond in the rough. I will post pictures when she fills out a bit.