betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 
Kisa

Betta severely bloated.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? filter causes some bubbles
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, but did have pond snails a few weeks ago. I cleaned out his tank and removed them all.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari micro pellets, sometimes aqueon pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, a few pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every Saturday, 50-75%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Decholrinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Severely bloated belly and it looks like he's getting bigger...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not much except, slightly decreased appetite a few days ago. Fasted him a day and a half so far thinking it might be overfeeding.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Started half a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Read to try giving him a little bit of pea. He only ate a tiny bit the first attempt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Months ago he had a tiny hole in his tail.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe a year.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No, he swims around like normal.

I think he's getting more bloated. I have a 1 gallon currently set up in case his condition changes. I gravel vacced his tank twice this week, but don't believe I saw any poo.

I think it might be constipation, but I have no clue. Would it hurt to try treating him for it anyway?

Kisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #2 
Myates

Hmm.. poor guy he is severely bloated.

I don't believe it's over feeding, as you are actually feeding on the low end. How is his waste? Is it normal brown-redish coloration?

I would go ahead and start him on some Epsom Salt-

Plain fragrance free Epsom Salt you buy in the pharmacy dept, 2 tsp per gallon- dissolve prior to adding him in it, daily 100% water changes. It may take 8-10 days before he is doing better if it's just bloating.

If the Epsom doesn't lower the swelling in 10 days then he may have a tumor of sorts... but for now, the best method of treatment is the Epsom. It's soft and gentle and will reduce the swelling and if he is constipated, will help him expel the waste. Go ahead and fast him for 3-4 days while in the Epsom Salt, a day and a half won't make much of a difference for him. When you start feeding him again, start slowly- 1 pellet per meal twice daily and see how he handles that, then work your way up to 2-3 pellets per meal, twice daily.

Feeding one meal a day you risk either over feeding or under feeding- over feeding in a single meal can cause bloating and SBD problems. 2 small meals per day is more ideal- 2-3 pellets per meal is a fair amount.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #3 
Kisa

Thank you. I will give start the epsom tonight.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #4 
dormfish

Keep us updated :) Best of luck to you and your guy there !
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #5 
Kisa

Thank you, I will! He started his Epsom treatment last night.

You know... I caught my cat drinking out of the tank a few days ago. I put weights and papers to cover up the small space for the filter, maybe she could have infected him.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #6 
callistra

If it's an actual infection and not just bloat from overfeeding he will need actual meds. The epsom salts removes the excess fluid but it is not going to treat the infection. Give him a couple days of fasting and epsom salts but if he's not a lot better in a few days to week, or you see him continue to get worse you're going to want to add some meds in there. If it's bacterial in nature you will want something like Kanaplex by Seachem and Focus also by Seachem. Bathing in the Kanaplex and feeding pellets soaked in it will clear this up. Up to two weeks is ok for this. Take one measure each of Focus and Kanaplex and dissolve it in either a small amount of treated water or Garlic Guard (100% garlic juice extract) or you could also use vita chem. Soak the aqueon pellets (they're typical size right not the micro?) in this 10-15min and feed 2 twice a day. I would treat a full two weeks or at least a few days past when he looks 100% if it doesn't take the full two weeks to clear. If Kanaplex is not available you can try Maracyn and Maracyn 2 in combo or Maracyn Plus.

How many is "a few" pellets? Once per day doesn't really say how much he's getting.

I am also wondering how often he poops and what his poop looks like.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #7 
Kisa

Thanks for the med info. I take a spoon and scoop up the pellets. If its the aqueon, since they are bigger, I usually pick up 3-5... The micro pellets are tiny so I give him double that. I do have brine shrimp and blood worms, but I've been laxed and haven't given him any in weeks.

I can't comment yet on his waste. I have him in a cube with no gravel so I'm waiting for him to "go."
Old 01-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #8 
callistra

At this point it would be a good idea to get him something bare bottomed. Normally I'd say just take out the gravel but you've got a filtered setup there and you don't want to disrupt that. It would be also good for medication purposes since the meds will be very hard on the beneficial bacterial. If you don't have anything you can get heated you can maybe affix a smaller container inside the heated one so he can maintain temp and you can watch his poo and medicate there. The meds might not break it down completely but you're going to want to monitor carefully, as if you were restarting a cycle, if you choose to treat in the tank and definitely keep up on the changes.

5 pellets in a single serving is too much but 3-5 a day split up twice is good. The reason is that bettas have stomachs the size of their eyes so that is like a meal 5x their stomach. I don't know if stuffing him all in one go can cause constipation since over 24hrs that's an ok amount or not.. no experience with this but it would seem logical that it's possible.

Last edited by callistra; 01-31-2012 at 05:54 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Kisa, I'd advise leaving him in the epsom salts for a few days before trying medications. Overmedicating can be just as harmful as undermedicating. If you medicate too often, you run the risk of the fish building up an immunity to the meds so they won't work when you really need them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #10 
Kisa

Yeah, I'm keeping him in the epsom salt water. I just did a 100% change into a slightly bigger tank. There was nothing in the water at all... he hasn't pooed yet and it's been 24 hours. On the bright side, his behavior is the same. Still swimming around like normal. I feel bad for him... ;_;