Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #1 
aqua001

Question I am doing everything correct, right?

Yesterday I got a ten gallon separated tank for my two Bettas. It has a filter and heater that keeps the tank a a steady 75 degrees. I am trying to cycle the tank so no fish is in it yet. Can anyone tell me if I am doing everything right? Also I use a cycle thing ( forgot what it is called)
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #2 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua001 View Post
Yesterday I got a ten gallon separated tank for my two Bettas. It has a filter and heater that keeps the tank a a steady 75 degrees. I am trying to cycle the tank so no fish is in it yet. Can anyone tell me if I am doing everything right? Also I use a cycle thing ( forgot what it is called)
When you put the fish in I would actually bump the temp up to 78*. A lot of people find that the products advertised to kick start your cycle don't really do anything. A good water testing kit is also needed to check where you are in the cycle and when you can add the fish. There's a sticky on cycling at the top of the betta homes subforum.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #3 
Gen2387

Hi! You're going in the right direction with the big tank and heater but I would go a little warmer for the water. Maybe 78 or 80. They like it better. Also, additives that ''help'' cycling the tank in my opinion, they don't work. Bacterias need warmth and light to stay alive and develop and you can't have that in a tiny bottle. Lol. The only thing I use in my tanks is water conditioner to treat the tap water which is extremely important.

Good luck!!!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

Also, what kind of divider are you using and is it see-through or seems like your betta's can see each other? You might want to take extra precaution and add more covering if it seems like it's needed as you can possibly stress out your betta's if they can see each other. I love that you have a 10g prepped for two bettas ^.^ Otherwise, definitely get a testing kit- I've heard both good and bad (mostly bad) results with pre-cycle products. You can surf the internet and find some forums and such for tips that will tell you how to boost your cycling stuff so you might want to look into that as well as how to do it the old fashion way for back up! It is more ideal to have the temp in the high 70's and low 80's, 78 seems to be the prefered sweet spot- Although I don't think it would be a horrible idea to adjust occasionally and see what your fish prefer once you get them (each fish is different- you should make sure which temperature your own bettas seem to thrive in better. Just don't dramatically chance the temp; anytime you are adjusting it do it in small incriments) - just make sure not to exceed 76 or 83 degrees
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

That being said, whilst you are cycling you can kick the temperature up to 86F. It will speed up the cycle a bit. :) Just lower it again when you get the fish.
What are you using as your ammonia source during the cycle?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #6 
aqua001

Drauq Isilime, the dividers are not clear(I was sure to watch out for that). In about a week I can go to petsmart and grab a tester. do you guys have any suggestion on which brand I should buy? my heater is a 100 watt but for some reason struggles to heat my ten gallon! I maved my fish in a few hours ago and one of them has shown lots of improvment but the other is still a little sluggish but i am sure he will perk up soon. And i just remembered, i might get a moss ball i think it's called. Do they require any speical mantanice or shold i leave them just as they are?

Last edited by aqua001; 02-03-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #7 
Draug Isilme

That's great ^.^ Just wanted to make sure 'cause I've come across plenty of forums with people who are new and divided the tank, but they had the problem with it being see-through.. Anyway, usually the test that gets recommended the most frequently is the 'Master Test Kit'. It's liquid- which makes it more accurate and lasts longer than testing strips (therefore cheaper in the long run). From what I've seen they usually run around $30... but it is well worth the money! Since you've already moved your fish in, you'll more than likely want to get this kit as soon as possible so you'll be able to monitor the water levels and you'll be able to make sure that the cycle stuff you used is working the way it should....
What kind of heater was it? It'd probably be best to delve into some research on heaters as there are great brands, and there are really poop brands >.>;.... Also, it depends on what kind of heater you want and how much your willing to pay- as I've found that there are plenty of great heaters at cheap prices, but most of them don't last in the long run, but then there are slighty more expensive heaters that, while you have to put a little bit more money into them, they're great quality and will last much longer (you get what you paid for and then some, nor will you have to fret about your fish possibly getting sick while your running out to buy a new one). I'd say it'd be best to look into an adjustable one. You'll be able to get it at the right temperature you want it to be at and if your fish get sick, you'll be able to treat and adjust the temperature accordingly. The Theo Hydor is apparently a great brand to look into >.>
And moss balls are great! They're very easy to take care of. You need to make sure it gets low lighting (either indirect sunlight or at minimum 5,000k from a bulb. Preferably 6,500k), and rinse and squeeze at least once a week with regular tap water to make sure to get out the excess gas that builds up in the middle of them as well as getting rid of collected debris. Otherwise, just roll around in your palms ocassionally to get that rounded effect- or if you'd like you can rip them apart and tie it to a piece of drift wood or something and it'll grow on that! They grow very slow. As a plant, it does provide a bit of oxygen and gets rid of ammonia, but keep in mind that it grows slow (and your tank is pretty big) so don't rely on it like a filter unless you plan on having a heavily planted tank. If you do get one, make sure you quarantine it in tap water for at least a week- it helps to make sure there aren't any hitch hickers like snails or unwanted bacteria/diseases... Don't let the ones in the cup fool you, either! You never know where it came from, whether or not the employees that put them there quarantine them before putting them on display, and it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Please do not trust "cycle" in a bottle products :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #9 
Draug Isilme

^ Agreed.. There are successful stories with the pre-cycled treated stuff, but people that've had bad experiences with it outweigh the ones that've had it work by.......... alot >.>;.... So there's a possibility that it'll work for you, but it's a very slim one..
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #10 
aqua001

Thanks guys! I am soooooooo frustrated now because one of my betas may not make it!!!!!! I think I would cry for the rest of my life if he dies...LOL.