Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 
xjenuhfur

Question Baby BiOrb decorations?

I've currently got my betta Goblin in the 4gal baby BiOrb tank. I live in a dorm & the rules state no bigger than a 10gal tank. But I didn't have room for a 10 gal anyway. But either way he seems to be loving it! Hes popping the bubbles with his face and blowing more bubbles underneath them! I was hoping to put some plants in the tank (no live) that will fit in the tank. I bought some generic plants & they don't fit in the BiOrb, I was really wondering what kind of plants do they love? I'm hoping to put enough plants in that he has places to hide and just rest, but still swim around. I cant get a bigger tank because I just have no room in the dorm. Would leafy plants do better? & should I try to find something small enough that he can hide in? Like a little cave?

Thanks!
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

Silk plants they are more expensive but they look nice, and they won't rip the bettas fins.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #3 
scootshoot

Yep look for silk as they are softer and safer for fish with delicate long fins then plastic plants Luckily my local petco had a clearance sale on silks. All were over 60-70pct off. The large backgrounds were goin for 4 bucks, the mid and foreground smaller ones for 3 bucks. Needless to say I grabbed a bunch
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #4 
xjenuhfur

I figured silk plants would do best, silks are on sale at my local store so I might so pick some up soon. Would leafy ones do best? He likes to hide in the one hes got now, but its really just sitting on top of the rocks atm because it doesn't fit in the tank properly. So I'm looking for stuff to fit nicely in the tank & make it homey. :)
Old 01-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 
a123andpoof

He would probally like leafy best. I have 1 really leafy one and my fish loves hiding in it. Also you could look for a letta leaf and a small cave would probably be nice or a tera cota pot would work well to. If you get a cave make sure the holes are all big enough for him to get through, to small of holes and you could get a stuck fish. Just a warning! Can't wait to see what it looks like complete!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #6 
xjenuhfur

Yeah I'm gonna have to hit the store soon then && pick up a few things. Hopefully I'll get the chance to post some pictures once I have it finished. I forgot my camera charger/cable at home this weekend. (therefore all pictures will be horrid phone pictures)
Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Can you fit a small live plant? Anubias is great for bettas, and doesn't grow too fast. You could also try anacharis, which does grow fast but is totally forgiving if you hack it into smaller pieces to make it fit. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #8 
xjenuhfur

The baby biorb filter is at the bottom and there isn't enough surface area at the bottom for roots. The silk plants were on clearance at the store so I bought two leafy midground ones, a little cave like thing that's smooth with some little lower plants for him to hide in or around. I'm going to put the tank together tomorrow and try to find a biOrb grass ring to put around the bubble center.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #9 
Bombalurina

Anubias doesn't need roots. :) You can tie it to something or leave it floating, or anchor it on a string.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #10 
xjenuhfur

Ahhh okay. Maybe I will do that. The live plants will also help control the good/bad bacteria? I'm currently going through a bloom because I didn't cycle properly beforehand. T.T rookie mistake.