Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 
BetaBlaze

5 Gallon tank for my boy

Hello everyone, this is my first posting, and thanks to everyone contributing to this forum that has helped me so much! I have a half-moon named "Lip", currently in a 2.5 gal bow with heater but no filter. The one that was included just pushed him around too much. I know, thanks to this forum, that I could build a baffle, but I'd really like to put him in a 5 or so gallon with a filter. I wanna do this for him, and so I need to do less water changing, and so my wife has an easy time taking care of the tank when I am out of town for work. I have of course seen many kits in a 5 gal or so size, but there always seem to be complaints about one component or another in these kits. Like, "filter is junk", or "light burned out in 2 days" etc, etc. I feel like I'm better off buying the components on my own and putting the whole show together myself. Problem number 1 is that I cant seem to find a single stand-alone 5 gallon rectangle tank on any internet sites! Does anyone have any leads or advice otherwise on my project? I'm also interested in using some basic LED lighting, as the mere 5w light in the hood of my Aqueon bow seems to evaporate the water from the surface. Any help would be appreciated....especially by Lip!
BetaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #2 
AcrimoniousArbiter

I'm not sure where you could get a reliable 5 gallon rectangular, but have a look at this article I wrote:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=89018
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #3 
Gen2387

I don't know about everyone else but I have 2 of these at home for my bettas:

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Style-G...8018293&sr=8-1

I know some people said they didn't like the filter but I have no idea why, I silent (mine is in my room next to my bed and I have no problem sleeping), the flow is adjustable so my betta as no problem with it, it keeps the water super clear and clean. I do 1 50% water change a week with gravel vaccum. My fishies are super happy in it (they're bubbel nest machines), never had any problem. Best buy I ever did. AND it's not that expensive for a complete kit!

Oh and there's already a little hole to use to put a heater in.
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Thermost...8018585&sr=1-7

I use the one above. You can set it at the temp you want, it fits perfectly in the little hole in the back and my water is always at 78.

Last edited by Gen2387; 01-31-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #4 
BetaBlaze

Thanks for the pointers kids. Will be investigating the Marina tank and the article was helpful all around. One question, is there some reason that it was implied that it's difficult to find a quality 5 gal rectangle. Is something wrong with that size/ shape combo?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #5 
Zappity

I have this one...it's pretty rectangular..
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11459461
It's a 5.5gal. I love it. Everything works great, but the filter is a little (A LOT) too strong..
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #6 
BetaBlaze

Thanks for the tip Zappity. I'm looking into it. An extra half gallon would make Lip even happier!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

Personally i don't like going the whole "kit" route .. i love just building my own setup with the parts you want and know are going to be a good match for your tank .. a lot of those kits come with stuff i'd end up replacing after finding out that they don't work well with what i want to do ..

from your location description .. if it's not to far of a drive from LA .. there is a place called super pets out in temple city .. that have cheaply priced 5gal stand alone tanks .. i got two of those 5g tanks for 8.99 when they were on sale .. i believe they are 10.99 regular price .. there are also 5.5g stand alone tanks at petsmart .. without the whole aquarium "kit" .. but they are in the amphibian/reptile aisle and not in the fish aisle

then you can decided what type of cover you want you want .. glass cover or a flourscent hood .. or a LED light .. or those clip on lights .. etc .. and you could choose what filter you like .. instead of being stuck with whatever filter just came with the kit and having to baffle it to make it work .. etc .. you could just get one that does what you want without having to do extra work to tweek it ..
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #8 
BetaBlaze

Thanks HN! This is exactly where I was looking to start! Looking forward to piecing together a home for my boy. Never would've thought to check the reptile section!