Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #1 
dormfish

Walmart Betta Rescue: Nitrate Burns?

I bought my boy, Kyle last week from Walmart. He was missing all of his scales, which are now beginning to grow back. His face is a blackish color, as are the whites around his eyes. I left my camera at home, and I'm waiting for it to be sent to me in the mail, so no pics at the moment. I am failry certain they are nitrate burns, but I'm curious on how to treat them. I used malefix for a week, to heal up some read streak, but I don't like using it any longer than I need to, since it's not the best on the labyrinth organ. The tank is heater with a filter. About 3 gallons.

Suggestions on how to best treat this little guy?
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 
Myates

Right now the best option, imo, would be just clean water- do a couple partial water changes each week, with regular siphoning of the gravel.

The biggest dangers are normally ammonia and nitrIte poisoning.. in which there is little you can do when they get it. The coloration may just be his normal colors, and they may change since he is in a clean/warm environment now.

Symptoms you are wanting to look for in poisoning when it comes to the chemistry is gasping for breath at the surface of the water.. basically trouble breathing, a lot of heavy breathing.

As for burns, there isn't anything you can do to "fix" them.. just clean, warm water to keep them from getting infected/irritated. There is no medication or cure for the burns on the market, nor is there any true conservative method. AQ salt would be used for poisoning.. but you have listed no signs of it.

I'm curious about his loss of scales.. is it the whole body? There really is no illness that would cause total loss of scales on the body- and the illnesses that can cause scale loss, normally the fish wouldn't survive long enough to lose them all. It's odd.. yes, once you get your camera, post some pictures- would be interesting to see and to add to my personal medical dictionary on betta diseases..
The clean water will help keep the bad bacteria at bay as well.
Feed a variety of high protein foods, small multiple meals a day to keep him healthy while recovering. Otherwise, right now I would stay away from medications as they may irritate and cause more trouble for him overall then help him any.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #3 
dormfish

Both of the bettas I purchased this last week from Walmart were missing all of their scales. Poor water quality I think, or it was from constant rubbing on the plastic cups. Kyle, the one with the burns, has scales growing back. It seems that he will be a blue with red markings. When I first bought him last Tuesday, he was breathing rather heavily, and his gills were very dark red. He's breathing easier now, luckily. I'll go do a quick gravel siphon tonight. :)
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #4 
Myates

Poor little ones.. I hope they become healthy for you. Just keep up with the water changes and they should heal up nicely. You can add in a small partial one during the week while they are healing if you wish to make sure the water stays a little cleaner.
I wish you the best, and speedy recovery of your new boys.

If the one is still breathing heavily/rapidly.. you can do an AQ salt treatment on him- as long as he hasn't been in other medications recently. 1 tsp of salt per gallon, daily 100% water changes for a few days to see if that helps his gills recovery a bit quicker/easier.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #5 
MistersMom

this is terrible
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM   #6 
dormfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
this is terrible
Yes it is :( I pick the sicker ones that I believe I can save, because I know no one else will want them. I caught Kyle making bubble nests tonight, though.... of course, I just siphoned the gravel, so now they're gone. I don't think he's too happy about it. lol.
Rosey, the little female I also bought at Walmart this week, is thriving in my 10 gallon community tank. I have high hopes for her. Despite having no scales, and only a tiny bit of color left in her fins, she's always nosing around the bottom of the tank, probably looking for leftover food. The piggish platys always get most of it -.-'
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 
MistersMom

yes, i like saving fish from walmart, im running out of room though and need another ten gallon.... its good your saving them, very good :)
Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #8 
dormfish

:) I do like to know that I'm making a difference. I also think that nursing a creature back to health adds something to that relationship. I've only had Kyle for a week, and I feel much more bonded to him than I ever did with Odysseus, whom I bought healthy 4 months ago.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #9 
MistersMom

i always like them better if i feel i have nursed them back, its a special bond and alot of effort....
Old 01-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #10 
dormfish

My friends in the dorms think I'm crazy for giving myself so much extra work. I don't think many people understand the Betta Bug. (Which I have infected 2 people with this semester: my roommate, one of my friends down the hall, and my other friend, who plans on getting her first betta next year.) I'm aweful. lol. But I do clean fishtanks and betta bowls as a service, so more money in my wallet XD