Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #1 
MissPokemaster

Cockroaches, something to worry about?

This is really more of a general question, but I have a few decorations I had taken out of my tank, and they were on my counter for a few days. When I picked it up to put it back in a freshly cleaned tank, a freaking GIANT cockroach came out! I thought it was the only one, so I killed it (squished), and rinsed the decoration out for a while, and put it back in the tank.

Within seconds, about 10 baby cockroaches came floating out. . . I caught and killed them all, and I don't think any more will float out tonight, if they do, the filter will probably get it.

First question, Are cockroaches dangerous to fish?

Also, a different decoration got sprayed with roach killer stuff, I rinsed it for 10 minutes, and I have it wraped in a paper towel now.

Second question, Is there any way I can make it safe to put in the tank again?

The tank will stay empty for a while anyways to cycle, so no fish are currently in danger.

Thanks in advance, even if you have no response other then "OMG EE COCKROACH" like me, >__<
MissPokemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #2 
StarBetta

Well, cockroaches are REALLY dirty. They crawl on all things that you can imagine (poop, garbage, dust, ect.). But I'm not sure about them with fish.
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #3 
Gen2387

For the decoration that got sprayed with roach killing stuff, personally, I wouldn't take any chances... I wouldn't put it back in the tank. If it had been a simple cleaning prudoct I'd have said it was okay but poison... don't take any chances.

For the roaches in the tank, sorry not sure if it's dangerous for the fish. If they have been in contact with roach poison there is a risk I guess...
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #4 
MissPokemaster

I figured I wouldn't be able to use the decoration again, maybe if I cleaned it with bleach or something. . . but I'd only use it again if I could test it first. Oh well, an excuse to get more decorations? Lol

I'm probaly just gonna empty the tank and start over again, cleaning everything with hot water at least.
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #5 
GreenTea

I hate to say this but usually by the time cockroaches are visible in the home, they have infested the place. I sincerely hope this is not the case for you but I would check all around your home and possibly have an exterminator come and take a look.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #6 
Laki

oh dear. Another reason I guess living North is not terrible.. Roaches?!? How big are the adults? I'd have to move. Spiders are one thing but anything larger than the mock wolf ones we get would just be too bad. I'm sorry about your heeby jeebies.
I wouldn't trust anything struck with poison either. From what I hear, roaches are pretty intense to kill.. Immune to a lot of the poisons out there o.O
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #7 
MissPokemaster

Oh I know we have a roach problem, but it's impossible for me to move, and it doesn't really matter if my room gets sprayed, I live on the last dorm, the one with only one neighbour, and every time it rains the roaches come in to the edge rooms first.

One of the bad things about living on an otherwise beautiful tropical island. . . gah.

They'll even chill in the hallways. . . *shudder* The biggest one I've seen. . . was a bit fatter then my thumb. . . so was the one that crawled on my hand.
oooh, we also have banna spiders! Gah. . . >_< I'm gonna have nightmares. . .
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #8 
GreenTea

Nightmare mode activated. Run!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #9 
Gen2387

Are you kidding? You aren't kidding. I would totally freak out. LOL! Roaches are on thing but spiders.... I searched banna spider when you mentionned it and.... AAAAAH! That was was scary. That's Why I love living in the north. The baddest insects I've seen here in canada are the black flies sometime during summer. Lol! And they're not that bad.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #10 
Laki

oh :/ roaches and banana spiders.. Not a cool thing to hang around. I know roaches are a hard thing to get rid of because I heard they are immune to a lot of the poisons out there? They'll also be the only thing to survive nuclear war (if it came to that o.O) but that one could be myth.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote