Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
livingart

My DarkMoon male is suddenly ill, please help

This weekend is not going so great. Yesterday morning I woke to find my white plakat male dead from my own stupid mistake. This morning, my DarkMoon17 male was acting sick. I think it's some kind of external parasite, but I'm not sure. I thought I'd better post it here and hope someone with more experience can help me.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.77 gal.
What temperature is your tank? 79*-80*
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? Kept in a very warm room. Tank has thermometer.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A few small snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS and occasional bloodworm
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and Black water extract

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25 it's always the same, I think it's the tap water here.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins just drooping.He's developed some black spots on his body over the course of the day.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's twitching and shaking his head/body side to side. At times, he just stays head-up in the corner.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning. I noticed he didn't have his fins spread as usual.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No treatment, yet. I've moved him to a QT tank.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young. He's from DarkMoon17's dragon spawn.
livingart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

This happened to me with my boys from DM...

I treated with 2 tsp/gallon AQ salt and Betta Revive for a week, and now they are just on 1/2 tsp/gallon aq salt until i am certain they are back to normal. Just be patent and have faith. ^.^
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #3 
livingart

Hey, I was just reading your ADF thread! Very cool :) Thanks for responding. I'll start the salt treatment for him right away.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

Ha ha, hope i helped you!

And good, just keep the water warmer though, i had my boys at about 83 degrees.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #5 
livingart

So, I can treat just like Ich? (Raise the temp and add 1tsp Aq. salt per day until 3tsp/gal is reached. Daily, 100%, water changes for a week.) I wasn't sure, because I don't see any "salt" on him. Thank you for easing my mind, I was a bit worried. :)
Old 02-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

I dont think it s ich that is making him sick, but the aq salt works to cure quite a few things. I also used Betta Revive to treat as well, you can get it at petco.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Hey livingart! These black spots, are they a little raised? Like this?

It's possible your guy has fish lice. Try treatng this with 3 tsps of aquarium salt and moderately high heat (about 82-84 F). Change the water every day to get rid of any parasites that fall off.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #8 
livingart

They aren't raised, it's more like some of his scales are darker. At least, I can't see that they are raised. If it is fish lice, the salt should take care of it? Salt, daily wc, and higher heat. That's what I'm going with now. Hopefully, this is all it takes! He's still pretty active, though he occasionally stops like he's wore out. He's still flaring at Sylvia, so I think it's beatable (whatever it is). The water is so terrible here! Maybe, I didn't let it age long enough? The PH is super-high and there's always a trace of ammonia. I want to switch everyone to NPTs. I think it will be less stressful for them and me. I've switched the baby to a NPT, and WOW, you could not believe how happy he is. :) I think I'll set Bart's up while he's in the hospital tank.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #9 
Sakura8

If it is fish lice, I would think the salt would help. It wouldn't hurt to try anyway. It's good that he's still active. Hopefully we can catch it before it does any real damage. :)

A high pH is okay because bettas will adjust to it. My pH is 8.0 and so far, all my bettas have done fine. It's better to keep them at a stable but less than ideal pH than to mess with pH uppers/downers and make the pH swing all over the place. The rapid changes can cause more harm. One way to safely lower your pH a little bit is to put tannins in the water, using Indian Almond Leaves. These are hard to find in stores and pretty much everyone orders online. I've heard good things about someone named Amy on eBay.

Keep me updated on how he's doing. If he starts to go south on us, don't hesitate to contact DarkMoon. Being a vet student and his breeder, she'll have a better insight into what might be causing those black spots than I would.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #10 
livingart

Thanks, Sakura8 :) If I don't see any improvement in a couple days, I will get in touch with DarkMoon. I just feel bad that one of her babies is sick. It had to be on my end, I just don't know what I did wrong.

Our PH is a very dark 8.8, so I add black water extract when I add conditioner to the water. Afraid that PH at that level would make them sick. I've been thinking I'll just order the IAL. I think it would be easier on the fish, a more gradual and natural lowering of the PH. Or, maybe, I should just leave the PH as is?