Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #1 
Wolfie305

Preparing for my first betta in quite a while!

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and this is my second post, so here is some background information about me! My name is Kelsey and I am a 22 (23 in March) year old college student majoring in graphic design (with a focus in web design). I am a HUGE nerd (video game addict) and animal lover! I reside in Massachusetts.

I've decided that since I am not living at college this semester (commuting because I only have classes 2 days a week), I wanted to get another betta! The last one I had (who was about 4 years old at the time) ending up dying my freshmen year. I think bringing him back and forth from school and home every other weekend and inconsistent temperatures did him in... So I decided never to get another fish while I was in college.

But now I am looking! I found out today about the "Dragon Scale" (which peaked my interest because of a video game I play with Dragon Scale armor hahaha) variety and I am absolutely in love after doing some research! So I am currently searching for a blueish dragon, preferably a halfmoon if possible. The ones at PetSmart were "plakat" and I'm more interested in the longer tails. I checked out that Aquabid site a few people mentioned on here, but shipping can get expensive! Should I keep looking around at PetSmarts/Petcos? I checked my local Walmart tonight and they didn't have any dragons.

As for my tank set up, I think it's just about ready! As kids, my brother and I kept our bettas in small bowls with no heater. They lived a good 4-5 years, but they weren't ask lively as they could have been!

So this time around, I purchased a 1.5 gallon tank. It's smaller than I originally wanted, but I have a very expensive thesis project ($1,000+) to work on this semester, so money is really tight and those tanks get expensive! I'll eventually get him something bigger, but this will have to do for now. I bought some Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus to condition the water.

I didn't attach the air pump because I know bettas can live without them and I figured it would give him more space. The top does have a cover, but it does have holes in it. Is this okay?

After doing some research on this forum, I found an "Elite 25W mini heater" for $15 that I purchased based on recommendations from everyone here. I know this is a small tank, so what would be the ideal setting for this heater? I don't want to cook the poor guy. Do I need the heater even though the tank has a light?

Here is a picture of the little tank set up I have going on.

Anything else I need? Tips? Recommendations? (aside from getting a bigger tank at the moment).

Thanks! :D

Last edited by Wolfie305; 01-30-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #2 
a123andpoof

I have that same tank! Its fine the hole is fine and all. I think your decor looks good, just keep an eye out that none of it rips his fins.
If your set on a dragon scale just keep looking at your local stores, and if you have any the next town over check them. The petco's near me are not that great. Went into a petco near my grandma the betta section was big! So just keep checking around also check any small local pet stores not just big chains!
Yes you need the heater, I would keep it set at around 78-80 as that is the ideal temperature. I would also run the heater in the tank for a few days to make sure it keeps the water heated at what you set and so you can play around with it.

Hope you find your guy soon!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #3 
Wolfie305

Thank you for the information!!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #4 
a123andpoof

One more thing I am not sure if you have looked into water changes, but with a one gallon you will need to do them more frequently with either 2 25% changes and 1 100% change each week. I like this as it keeps the ammonia lower, or 1 50% and 1 100% change each week. I am not overly fond of this as I worry the ammonia might get to high, but I know some do it with success.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You could also try searching online for betta breeders in the states, or your specific state. A lot of people import Thai fish in huge amounts for cheaper then sell them for a good price.

Also must say I love your designs! :D I wish I had need for a website, lol.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #6 
Wolfie305

Thanks for the information about the water changes! I remembering doing 100% weekly changes when I used to own bettas, but I'll definitely do the 2 a week.

Olympia - I've actually been doing that, but haven't found anything close just yet. And thank you for the comments, I really appreciate it :3 I do illustrations too! :D
Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #7 
DragonTheBetta

Hahaha! I have a blue dragon scale. He is so cool looking. I found mine at Petco. The tank size seems fine to me. I keep mine in a 1 gallon tank. Even though that seems small he seems like the happiest fish in the word. He is the most lively fish ever and loves to chase his reflection!
DragonTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #8 
RiverStoneBetta

As a starter tank, it is fine. I do highly recommend that you use the heater. The lightbulb won't put out enough heat to change the water temp, and even if it does, it will just fluctuate. The heater stops that from happening. If it's got a adjustable thermostat, 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit is what you want to hit. I would also try to get a cheap thermometer for the tank, because I've learned the hard way to never trust what the thermostat says on a heater.

As for the water changes, it is always better to do smaller, more frequent changes than large infrequent ones. In a one gallon, I'd do a 25% change every other day. Since you're not using a heater, I'd fill a container with water, treat it, and let it sit next to the tank so the water is always at the same temperature.

^And in spite of all that, I'm not harking at you to get a bigger tank. Smaller tanks just take a LOT more work. You can easily upgrade to a 2.5 gallon, cut the water changes to 25% twice a week, and not increase your tank's footprint by much. (Aqueon Mini-Bows are awesome.) But I've been in your shoes, so the tank will work for now. =]

Last edited by RiverStoneBetta; 01-31-2012 at 05:43 PM.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #9 
Wolfie305

@Dragon - I'm heading to PetCo tonight to see what they have! I can't wait!

@River - Thank you! And don't worry, I didn't think you were harking :) I DO want to get a bigger tank within the next month or so. My birthday is in March so maybe a birthday present? ;D
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #10 
RiverStoneBetta

XD I've pulled the birthday/Christmas present trick so many times. That's how my goldfish got the tank they're in now.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote