Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #1 
RiverStoneBetta

I hate the death watch.

I've made my way back to the forums, but not in a way I'd like.

My mom wants to start raising fish on her own (since my dad and I do all the work) but she's scared that she'll kill her first fish from doing something stupid. So for the past 3 months, she's been taking care of my only betta, Boba. I've left her alone, beyond making sure that he's alive, and let her do everything without me pestering her. However, she told me yesterday that he was acting sluggish and no responding to anything except the net. I checked up on him, and she was right. A small water test later...

And I almost had a damn heart attack. Somehow the ammonia levels were at or past 8 PPM in a 2.5 gallon tank! I've immediately moved Boba into a hospital tank, with fresh, heated water and now I'm basically on death watch, I'm afraid. Boba was insanely tough for a betta, but I don't see how he'll survive such prolonged exposure to that kind of ammonia buildup. That didn't happen overnight, and the water parameters were near perfect when I moved the tank to my mother's room.

Just needed to get that out there to some people who would understand.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #2 
xbecky685x

Im really sorry :( I hope he makes it
xx
xbecky685x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #3 
RiverStoneBetta

He's stubborn, and he still wants to live, judging by how fast he moved away from the shrimp net. He's moving more in the hospital tank, but he's just laying at the bottom and gasping. Did a series of massive water changes, so the ammonia is .0 again and added some salt to his main tank, and hope that helps him.

The main thing that worries me is that he's 4 years old, so he probably won't spring back as quickly as I'd like him to.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #4 
Laki

aw. You were helping your mom out. Poor Boba, sending good vibes!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #5 
nel3

i hope he makes it. his age aside, the petstore bettas are often similar in parameters. it was off the chart for the thai DT i got in the shipping bag and similar for the barrack/mason jar water for my other 2 newer betta.

something more stressful would be the betta my parents' neighbor has. hes an old betta with damaged fins, 0.75 L vase, cold water no dechlor. water changes consisting of dumping the betta into the bathroom sink (usually plugged up for WC purpose but not 100% consistently) and yogurt container. all this is done within 1 minute for a complete change. he does get a 100 every 2 days or so but that doesnt make her better due to her WC procedure.

Last edited by nel3; 01-31-2012 at 03:32 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #6 
lexylex0526

Aww:( I'm sorry to hear about that!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure little boba is a fighter he'll stay strong!:) I hope all goes well.
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #7 
RiverStoneBetta

Still alive, and he's not gasping for breath as much. Now whether it's because he's finding it easier to breathe or because he's giving up, I don't know. He still moves around a bit and reacts to sudden movement, so I've got a bit of hope.

He's been through much more stressful situations. I've come home to him on the floor almost completely dried up. I plopped him back in his tank so I could dispose of him later, and when I came back, the little bugger was still alive. Dazed, but alive. So I'm hoping his hardiness keeps up.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 
DragonTheBetta

Wow, I hope he fully recovers. My first betta wasnt at fighter at all. He lasted 12 hours... I got a new one and he is the toughest fish ever. He purposly gets stuck one the water filter and shows me how he can break free. XD
DragonTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #9 
RiverStoneBetta

Heh. Quinn used to do that. I had one of those Whisper i20 filters in the 10 gallon and he would occasionally just stop swimming and get his tail pulled towards the filter intake. He would just stay there until one of the Cories moved, and then he'd dart away.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 
Aloe

My two bettas, Piccolo and Romeo send their best wishes to your betta, they don't like to hear that a fellow betta is sick. I believe that if your betta continues to fight this high risk of death, that he'll recover.
Aloe is offline   Reply With Quote