Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #1 
MarcusTheGreat

Carbon filter Question

Hello

I have had my tank running for a good 2 months now with no problems i have a Carbon filter my question is when is it time to get a new one ? or do i just clean it and put it back in ?
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #2 
Gen2387

Depends. I have carbon filter cartridge in my tanks and I replace one every 4 to 5 weeks. Is it a cartridge or one of those carbon pouches? I think you can keep the pouches longer if you rinse it well in tank water every couple of weeks during the water change.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #3 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
Depends. I have carbon filter cartridge in my tanks and I replace one every 4 to 5 weeks. Is it a cartridge or one of those carbon pouches? I think you can keep the pouches longer if you rinse it well in tank water every couple of weeks during the water change.
im not sure what u mean i will take a picture
Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #4 
MarcusTheGreat

some pictures

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1328046285
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1328046299
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #5 
styggian

Cartridges are usually blue or black plastic with a sponge attached to one side, with the carbon on the inside. Some filters use a little bag with carbon. There's also a black carbon sponge. The plastic cartriges should be replaced every 4-6ish weeks, sometimes longer depending on how well they hold up. I've never used the bags of carbon, so I don't know how long those last for. The black carbon sponges just need a gentle rinse in tank water during a water change and put back into the filter, they can last for a very long time and will hold a lot of the good bacteria your tank needs.

Edit: looking at google, it looks like the black carbon sponges will occasionally need replacing, and may not hold as much of the good bacteria as I thought.

It looks like you have the plastic cartridges. They do need replacing fairly regularly, though a lot of people will rinse them in tank water and reuse longer than the manufacturer states. I've done that and had no issues, just waiting until it's falling apart.

Do you know what kind of filter you have?

Last edited by styggian; 01-31-2012 at 03:53 PM.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #6 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
Cartridges are usually blue or black plastic with a sponge attached to one side, with the carbon on the inside. Some filters use a little bag with carbon. There's also a black carbon sponge. The plastic cartriges should be replaced every 4-6ish weeks, sometimes longer depending on how well they hold up. I've never used the bags of carbon, so I don't know how long those last for. The black carbon sponges just need a gentle rinse in tank water during a water change and put back into the filter, they can last for a very long time and will hold a lot of the good bacteria your tank needs.

Edit: looking at google, it looks like the black carbon sponges will occasionally need replacing, and may not hold as much of the good bacteria as I thought.

It looks like you have the plastic cartridges. They do need replacing fairly regularly, though a lot of people will rinse them in tank water and reuse longer than the manufacturer states. I've done that and had no issues, just waiting until it's falling apart.

Do you know what kind of filter you have?
this is the filter, it came in a kit when i bought my 10g tank

http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_M...p/rhg10286.htm

Last edited by MarcusTheGreat; 01-31-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 
styggian

Looks like they recommend changing the filters once every 2-4 weeks. I wouldn't change all three at once, though. If needed, I'd alternate changing them, maybe one every 2 weeks if they're getting funky or worn out. Changing all three at once could lead to an ammonia spike from the loss of beneficial bacteria.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #8 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
Looks like they recommend changing the filters once every 2-4 weeks. I wouldn't change all three at once, though. If needed, I'd alternate changing them, maybe one every 2 weeks if they're getting funky or worn out. Changing all three at once could lead to an ammonia spike from the loss of beneficial bacteria.
ok so i will go buy 3 but i will change 1 every couple of weeks
Old 01-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

If you want to have something that is cheaper in the long run, buy yourself a filter that only uses sponges and ceramic noodles. Run the two filters together in the tank for a month, then remove the carbon one. You don't have to replace the contents of a non-carbon filter til it is absolutely falling apart. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #10 
styggian

I've read of people replacing their carbon in regular filters with sponges instead. I'm thinking of trying this myself.