Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #1 
jibruno

Angry Ughh

i hate how my male doesnt realize there are eggs on the bottom of the tank and the female just eats them all, hes too focused on making bubbles lol

so frustrating =p
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #2 
tpocicat

I'm really sorry this is happening. I've had females help the male put the eggs in the nest! Is your male young? He may improve as he gets older.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 
jibruno

well it started out that she was eating, then she started helping put them in the nest, the finished spawning, i removed the female and i could see some clumps of eggs in the nest, came back 20 min later and i see no eggs.. im so confused ><
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #4 
tpocicat

Maybe the male moved them closer to the middle of the nest? You'll know for sure of there are any left in a couple of days.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
jibruno

is it common for eggs to be invisible? or are they normally easy to see?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

both of my females helped the male with the eggs :P sorry hopefully it gets better, eggs are supposed to be white and small
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Eggs are often hard to see amongst the bubbles. But if you look closely, they are paper white. Look ate the male; is he still working on his nest? Is he busy under the nest? These are indication that there are eggs in the nest.

Be prepared for disappointment. Sorry..... if the male ignored fallen eggs most often he will be an egg/fry eater. I'm not talking about not enough time to pick up the eggs. But literally ignoring them, only catching a few that are falling. If he is young, he might change. But if he is 6 months+, I'd retire him as a breeder. I hope I'm wrong.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #8 
EvilVOG

are you sure eggs haven't hatched? in my spawn, i thought i had a ton of eggs on the ground, turns out they had hatched, it those were only broken egg casings.

Not really anything can prepare you for how tiny fry really are. you see some pictures around here and think that they aren't as small as they are. At first, i had trouble even seeing them with my eyes.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #9 
jibruno

im positive they haven't hatched, they only embraced this morning, and im positive the eggs are gone because he destroyed his nest, this is the second male iv had thats destroyed the nest.. idk what to do anymore, 8 failed attempts with 2 diff pairs, i fail as a breeder ><
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

jibruno: failure is merely a postponed success..... forgot who said that.

I truly believe that bettas, to some extent, inherit their parent's character. In the future, try getting pairs from a different source. Hopefully they won't be egg eaters. Further, when breeding, wait until your pair has matured - about 6 months old. Because I've noticed that my more recent males were egg eaters when they were young. But when I spawned them at an older age (about 6-7 months) and in a bigger tank/tub (I often breed in 1 - 2g wide containers), they cared for tons of fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote