Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #1 
MaxGreenMDE

Thinking about sticking something in with Dahvie

But I'm not really sure..

I have a 10 gallon tank and will be getting gravel substrate with maybe a few more plastic plants. NO live plants, I don't like them.

Yes filter and yes heater..

What could I put in there that he can get along with? if anything at all lol

I won't be too disappointed if there's nothing he can tolerate
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #2 
registereduser

Why don't you like live plants?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 
MaxGreenMDE

There's several reasons that I don't really feel like going into right now. I just prefer the plastic plants. even better silk plants.
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

If he is going to get on with anything, here are some suggestions:
- 8 ember tetras
- 8 pygmy cories
- 6 panda cories
- 4 larger cories (such as bronze)
- 4 male Endlers Livebearers
Obviously not all at once, just one of those things. :) And, of course, shrimp.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #5 
veggiebetta

I highly, highly recommened White Cloud Mountain Minnows. There bio-load is quite low and they are the hardiest of the hardy! Get the normal ones, don't get the golden ones which are apparently defective usually because the genes are bad. I'm not a geneticist by any means... just going off of what I've noticed and heard from my LFS.

They are quite beautiful once they get settled. Lively and develop their own little personalities. I have three in my 3.5 gallon with my female veil tale and they all do wonderfully together. Their colors are coming in so nicely and they have really neat little displays where their fins splay out and their bodies shimmy. Active yet calm for community fish. I'm lucky that I live in Texas and my tank without a heater stays between 69-72 which all the fish seem happy about.

Last edited by veggiebetta; 03-02-2012 at 01:29 PM.
veggiebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #6 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiebetta View Post
They are quite beautiful once they get settled. Lively and develop their own little personalities. I have three in my 3.5 gallon with my female veil tale and they all do wonderfully together. Their colors are coming in so nicely and they have really neat little displays where their fins splay out and their bodies shimmy. Active yet calm for community fish. I'm lucky that I live in Texas and my tank without a heater stays between 69-72 which all the fish seem happy about.
I hope you do realize that bettas are tropical fish, they require temperatures around 78 not 70. Lower temps cause a weaker immune system, which means it is easier to get sick, which can then lead to an early death.

Also that many fish in such a small tank needs every other day cleaning because of the bioload. Which can also lead to an early death. Not trying to be mean.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #7 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiebetta View Post
I highly, highly recommened White Cloud Mountain Minnows. There bio-load is quite low and they are the hardiest of the hardy! Get the normal ones, don't get the golden ones which are apparently defective usually because the genes are bad. I'm not a geneticist by any means... just going off of what I've noticed and heard from my LFS.

WCMM are not at all compatible with bettas. They are a coldwater fish and bettas are tropical requiring temps of 78-82F. They are also a schooling fish and need to be in groups of 5+. Also, a 3.5 gallon is definately not suitable for WCMM, let alone 3 with a betta! D: To have tankmates with a betta you need at least a 10 Gallon tank to give them space as well as the bioload.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

+1 to KFry and Maisy.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Looks like we posted at the same time. xD
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #10 
inareverie85

For a 10 gallon, I really like small tetras, if the specific sort of tetra isn't known for fin-nipping. :)

Otocinclus are SUPER cute, in my opinion, but they eat algae and such, so you'd have to drop wafers in for them or some sliced vegetables. Otos are also a schooling fish that are happiest with at least 3-5.

Smaller species of peaceful rainbows are nice, too, like the furcata. You can probably put 3-5 of them in there with the betta. They put on quite a display with their fins, and they don't nip. You'll need to be sure you feed them bits that are small enough for their tiny mouths, though. They're one of my favorite fish.

It really all comes down to the betta as well. I have two bettas that are thriving in community tanks. One rules over a 15 gallon with plants, otocinclus, and furcata rainbows. The other lives peacefully in a 27 gallon with threadfin rainbows, otocinclus, and a mild-mannered German Blue Ram.

And then I have Sashimi :P He won't even tolerate a pair of otos in his 8 gallon to keep the plants clean. He flares at any fish I put near his tank.. So he has horned nerite snails, and he's okay with those. :P Anything else, I think he'd rip apart.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote