Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #11 
Aitas

hehe, the heater is on the left wall of the aquarium, but because of the broken light on the edge, you couldn't see it on other photos. Sorry 'bout that :P
It's going to be in the filter once i get it done exactly as i want it to be ;)

By the way, don't think I'm completely useless for my brother either ;) he has a 200l and a 500l aquarium, and for neither of them can he reach into the filter, because his arm is to wide and/or he's too short, and i'm the tall skinny girl, perfect for the mission. but indeed, usually, i'm the idea provider and he's the mechanic mastermind
Attached Images

Aitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #12 
Aitas

I believe Blue is gonna get some girlfriends soon! :D can't wait!

i know one is sooo pretty yellow body with a black stripe, and the fins are light blue/purple-ish, omg :D for the rest i don't know yet, but i'm excited nevertheless! :D
Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #13 
Badjer

Really the whole betta "harem" thing is not a good idea. Either he will attack the females, they will gang up on him and rip him to shreds, or you'll end up with unwanted spawns. While pretty and really cool, your tank isn't planted enough even for a sorority. I hate to put a damper on your plans, but I'd rather warn you than you end up with a bloodbath.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #14 
Aitas

Hey, I appreciate it. :)
I already said, though, that my plan is for this aquarium to become a complete jungle, i just love the way it looks. And for any kind of emergency, i have a 45l aquarium already cycled and working, which only contains red cherry shrimps, so if any kind of problem would arise, i'd have a solution instantly. I know it's a risk even with lots of plants, but, hey, you never know, i might just succeed. And i would actually love to have them spawn, I want to know how it's like. Of course, i'll find new owners for the babies before that actually happens. :)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #15 
Badjer

And if the females don't get along? How would you separate them? No offense, but by the time you realize that it's not working, a fish may already be dead. I just don't understand why you would take the risk instead of putting your beautiful boy in with a community tank, or setting up a nice sorority. It may be a "success" for months before becoming an issue, but how is that worth it? And if they spawn, are you prepared with food for the fry, as well as lots of jars for mature males? Not that you could even catch the resulting fry in a heavily planted tank.

Sorry, it just upsets me that so many members are risking this sort of 'harem' plan or putting multiple males together. The only reason to do such a thing is to see if they can go without killing each other. Not trying to offend you, promise, and I do believe that you are a capable owner...I just don't understand why people are so set on trying to make these types of living arrangements work when it doesn't benefit the fish at all.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #16 
Aitas

I'm sure the females will get along, since they have lived almost their whole lives together, so that would not be a problem. I also have a permanent supply of live food - water fleas and arthemias, since bettas are not the only fish i own. Jars? well, currently i have 6 of them, each 8l capacity, and if needed, i could get more easily.

all in all, the point of a heavily planted tank will be that if a fight between a female and male occurs, is that she has plenty of room to hide before him. And besides that, if the slow introduction won't go as planned, i will just keep females in a separate tank from the male.

Two males together? well, that one tops it off, doesn't it. :S
Old 02-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #17 
Laki

The "new" thing, though I'm not sure how new it really is, is to house 2+ males together in LARGE tanks. Replicating what they have in the wild I suppose. Providing they can have enough room and plenty of gallons to each make their own territory I'm sure it's been successful.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #18 
Aitas

I'm sure it has. But I just wouldn't have the guts to do that. Even in a 500l tank, no thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #19 
Badjer

I'm not so sure I see a drastic difference between housing males together and housing males and females together. The males may traditionally be the fighters, but I've seen groups of females gang up on a male and do the same damage. In either situation, it has the potential to work but it can break down in an instant. Personally the only situation I would ever be comfortable housing more than one betta together would be a sorority. Obviously this is just my opinion and I hope no one takes offense....I just find people's changing opinions on this subject interesting. As Laki said, it does seem to be a changing trend.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #20 
Myates

Love the tank, but throwing in my two cents as having a male with females in a tank that size is not safe by any means. Regardless how many plants are in the tank, all it takes is a female seeing the male, or vise versa just once, and the fight is on.
Female sororities are tricky at best, as the females are just as aggressive as males, but are tolerable simply because they don't tend to have the same territorial needs as the males. In the wild, a male will set up shop and the females will swim all over, and if they are spawning, the female lays the eggs with the male then moves off away from him.
Being in a tank they don't have that option, they are bound by glass walls, and even with plants, they know this and will feel boxed in if one or more is being bullied. Why a lot of times, regardless of experience and length of time, people who keep sororities end up removing one or more females at one point in time or another. They can be happy for a year then all of a sudden you are having to house multiple ones.
Add in a male, where when they are not ready to drop eggs, they do not want to be anywhere near one, you are asking for trouble.

I've seen males and females living together (with little trouble, but always trouble) when they are raised from fry together, and/or in large aquariums such as 75-100 gallons (283L- 378L), not 75L (19 gallons). That is WAY too small to have males and females together.

Please reconsider for the safety of the fish, you can have a sorority just fine in that size of a tank, but not a male and multiple females, you will have some deaths/serious injuries from it. Not a warning, but a fact.. And even though they may not fight the first week while they adjust, it WILL happen in that size of a tank, regardless of plants.

Just stating my concerns, opinions and simple facts. Good luck on everything.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote