Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 
Laki

Welcome home!! (*Ludendorff?)

I had my 3g tank set up for a few days in the kitchen window with a proper heater (whereas before Lakitu had to come in from the kitchen bc his heater couldn't support it). I put all the hornwort in there to allow it free space to float and grow. Bowser's 2.5 Kritter Keeper didn't have the tallness it wanted.
I went in that store last week with mom and we were looking at them but I didn't buy any. Today, all the ones that were there last week had been sold. In order of multi's + butterflies, reds and last are the blues. I never saw that choosing happen before!! THere were 3 multicolored VT's left (which is what I wanted since Bowser's a CT and they have ridiculous prices on their fish allowing VT to be cheaper than CT but still a lot )
I'll upload pics now in a minute when my camera's done charging.
I'm thinking of naming him Ludendorff after Major-General Erich Von Ludendorff.. I'm a bit of a 20th century history lover and Ludendorff was basically the most powerful man in Germany (it is argued) during the First World War. He believed in all out mutiny and war and considered the period between the 2 World Wars (1918-1939) as a "break" from the same conflict. He was purely warrior-minded. All about war. (And I guess you would in Germany at the signing of the Treaty of Versailles!)
.... stop... I could go on for a long time...

Okay, if his name is Ludendorff it's because he is fiesty. I chose him for his looks (big, sturdy, healthy) and because he was in a 'match' with his neighbor in the store. He was understandably stressed when I got home (remember I said there was a storm? well I had to walk home when my connecting bus failed to arrive) and the cat got up to drink his water (now covered). The fish was puffed up raging at the cat!! He's all about the fighting!! He'd win.

On a last note, and I apologize for the length of this already, but the supplier for this small LPS must have awesome stock coming in. Lakitu and now 'Ludendorff' are big solid fish. They always have the biggest healthiest VT's in the city.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #2 
blueridge

Can't wait to see pictures of him!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #3 
VikingPrincess

Still waiting on pictures!

Have you decided on a permanent name yet?
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #4 
Laki

Ludendorff is his temp name. If I don't come up with another WW1 name then it will be Nintendo ;) I like WW1 history though. Might be my favorite period. Lots of change. And no I couldn't get pics yet because I needed the flash and it scared him away! Tomorrow in the light I'll get some. I think he's lavender colored (body) with a red head and red/turquoise fins and flecks. Patience my friends!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #5 
Laki

Here's the thing. I woke up this morning and he was pretty listless. I don't know if it's stress. So before school I made up a 1 tsp/gallon epsom salt mix just to clear him out in case he's constipated from whatever they feed at the store. I kept him in the small .5 gallon for the day in that solution. I just came home and acclimated hi back into his tank which now has an IAL (which I didn't put in for some reason before).. He's kind of clamped though. Water is steady at 26C. Could it just be he needs time?
Bowser was a slow taker too, I guess having a real home for them is something to get used to!!

Without further ado, here's the official Ludendorff!
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 
Aitas

indeed, he doesn't look well.. I hope it's just an initial shock and he'll get over it! good luck!
Aitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #7 
Laki

I just came home from the grocery store and checked in, I think his problem is some degree of fin rot?? His fins are melted together at the ends to give him that spade-tail look. Any ideas how to cure this?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #8 
Silverfang

fin melt, uh, I'm not sure what the cure for that is, but I'll pester Sakura when I see her on... or you can! She's usually pretty knowledgeable.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 
Laki

oh, thank goodness! Thanks! I thought he looked pretty good when I got him, he was "fighting" with his neighbor, very spunky. The rest looked pathetic, unfortunately. You know where I got him, PC.
Fin melt seems indeed to be his problem :( He's not that good at swimming, found him sleeping in the crook of his IAL though! So cute!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #10 
VikingPrincess

He's beautiful.

I don't know anything about fin melt,but hopefully you can get him better in no time.

I was into Pet City earlier and they only had a few bettas and none of them looked very good.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote