Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #1 
Jrf456

Cleaning plastic figures to put in tanks?

So I'm getting Heather a 3g tank soon, I just recently got two for Skyden & Brent & fell in love! As many of you know, I'm a Disney freak. I have this one shelf that is all Sorcerer Mickey stuff, and her tank will be going there. I have this really nice plastic figure that was once a McDonalds toy of Sorcerer Mickey I'd loooove to put in the tank. If this is possible to use, how should I clean it to make it safe for the tank, and if you're not sure by my description, how can I tell if it's safe or not? I used to have a figure from the same series of McDonalds toys that I had in my 5g a while back, and it was fine for my neons and guppies that lived 2-3 years.. I just want to know a more proper way to clean and make sure they're safe since bettas are a little bit more important to me with their personalities and such.

Thank you very much!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #2 
Jrf456

0 comments? SHOCKER :O THAT'S SO UNCOMMON HERE!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 
elegantlyunsophisticated

I have a plastic mudkip and a plastic dragon in two of my tanks (the dragon's kind of bendy while the mudkip is solid, so two types of plastic I think) I just rinsed them in scalding water, let them sit in scalding water, then ran them in the sink with hot water for a while, it's worked really well.
elegantlyunsophisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #4 
Jrf456

Thanks! Will do. No soap or anything though, right?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

to add to soaking it in hot water .. i also add some aq salt too the soaking container .. and let it soak in there for 24-48 hrs ..

then i test the water .. just to make sure none of the plastic dyes will leech into the water and that water parameters are still good even after it's been soaking for two days .. then a warm water rinse .. and it's good to go in a tank
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote