Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #1 
Seager1991

Snail Problem

Hey guys, haven't been on here for a few weeks because I've been busy working on my photography site, and getting new shots. But, over the past 2 weeks my tank has increased from 2 snails. to 75 separate ones I can count and well countless baby snails and non mature snails. Is there anything that will kill them and not my fish because it will take way to long to scoop em out, or pick them out.
Seager1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #2 
styggian

There are chemicals that kill snails but I personally wouldn't use them. Get a small herd of assassin snails, they breed very slow and will munch the pest snails.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #3 
Seager1991

Well, theres 2 different breeds of snails in my tank. Actually 3 now that I look at it. Well let me correct my self. 3 Different shell types (Does that mean a different species or just shell type?) Because I have 1.Discoidal Shell which are the ones I actually wanna keep. 2.Conical shell (there all black and ugly except the ones that are some how spotted.) and 3.Globose shell (Just black and lame as well.)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #4 
Seager1991

I guess the 3rd one came from one of the new plants or something. My mystery snail died...and some how his shells now empty...and my Betta didn't eat him so idk where his body went...
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

There are a couple of methods for mass removing snails. I agree with Styggian, don't go with a chemical method.

The first method is a snail trap. You stick a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight, and by morning you should have a decent herd of snails on it. You scoop out the lettuce and throw it away. Repeat until the tank is sufficiently snail-free. It won't kill all of them, but it will reduce the population. I should say this method never worked for me, but my snails don't seem to be in to vegetable matter that much.

The second method is to get some kind of snail-eating critter. This is only an option for a tank big enough to house them, of course. What size is your tank? In a small tank, I second the idea of an assasin snail.

The third method is a total tank overhaul. It's a pain, but it does reduce the population quite significantly. I did a couple of large rescapes lately and I found that the snails generally got stuck above the water line, where I could pick them out.

Of course, you can combine the methods. :)

There are also precautions you can take. I found that my snail population really grew when there was a bit of extra food in the tank. Now with many small fish, my betta girls and my cories getting it all, and the shrimp cleaning what they miss, there are very few snails left.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #6 
Seager1991

Some one told me if i drop a penny in there it will kill them, and today i went to pick up a Pleco which i feel the betta is scared of, and 2 neon tetras which arnt messing with the betta im just waiting for the betta to realize he cant catch them, shouldnt take too long
Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #7 
Myates

I agree, the lettuce is the safest way to remove them.. a penny can definitely harm the fish.

How big is the tank you are putting the pleco into? And how many neons do you have total? Just making sure your tank is set up right for all of the fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote