Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #1 
kfryman

Swim Bladder?

I got a girl from Petco yesterday, she will only swim if she needs air. Then she just sinks back down. I changed her cup to the one she came in so she doesn't have to swim as much. I am not sure if this is swim bladder or what please help me!

Also, part of her ventral looks damaged, so I might pick up something that helps the slime coat.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Do you have epsom salts? These are just plain magnesium sulfate that you can get at any pharmacy or drugstore. Make sure the epsom salts don't have any added scents or colors. Find something that holds a gallon and fill it up with 1 gallon (16 cups) of dechlorinated water. Add in 1 tsp of epsom salt to that and mix it up so the salt dissolves. Then fill up her Petco cup with the epsom salt water. You can save the rest of the water for water changes since she'll have to have her cup changed at least once a day.

Will she eat? Does she just lie on the bottom? And is she breathing heavily at all?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #3 
kfryman

Oh when I got her she had like 7 bloodworms in her container O.O yeah that's right 7!

I will try to get some, and start her tomorrow. She is breathing heavily, sitting at the bottom, and refuses to eat. What section is it usually in and how long can she be in the treatment?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Epsom salt is usually in the drug/pharmacy section. Uhm, I think it will either be with the, er, laxatives (it can act as a mild laxative for humans) or with the first aid/bandages.

The breathing heavily part is a little worrisome. I hope she pulls through the night. :(
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #5 
kfryman

Okay guess I am running to multiple places today. S o if it isn't chronic, then it would be from overfeedong correct?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 
kfryman

Okay this sucks, before I went to to school she was fine. When I came home, fine, right before I went to the store, terrible. I got home and lifeless. She was minutes away from treatment... I hate when such beauties pass. :(
Old 02-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #7 
Sakura8

:( *hugs* I'm so sorry, Kfry. I was afraid of that. When they won't eat and just sit there on the bottom, it's never a good sign. Take comfort that she was able to pass in clean water in your care with someone who appreciated her beauty.