Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Kfry, well, that's about what I expected. You're right, it's well and truly gone. LittleBettas is right, it can get very easily infected. I'm not sure this girl will be able to go into a sorority with her gill like that. :/ But she looks very good otherwise, nothing is clamped and she looks happy. But I do worry about potential infection.

API Stress Coat is very good too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #12 
kfryman

Okay then, if I add her later do I have to change everything around? That's kinda hard in a planted tank. Anyways, I guess maybe I will have to put her bigger cup in the 2.5g until she is healed up. How long could that take to heal up? Just asking for like an estimate.

It's good that I got her though I am pretty sure if someone got her, they wouldn't know what to do.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #13 
Sakura8

I'm not sure if gill flaps ever grow back. I've only seen pics in my fish disease books and that particular fish had er, passed on. If it does grow back, I would estimate at least two months or more. But if it doesn't . . . well, you could put her in the sorority but it would definitely mean an increased risk of infection for her.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #14 
kfryman

I think sine is growing back! At least a bit. So when the day cones to remove the AS, how long until I should do the next treatment? It seems to help.

Yesterday I did something so embarrassing. I forgot the conditioner! I was in a mad scramble when I realized it. Luckily she was only exposed for about 20 seconds.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #15 
Sakura8

I've forgotten the conditioner before too. In my case, it was during my great tank teardown where I switched substrates in my 20g. I forgot to put the conditioner in the holding tank. :( 3 rummynose tetras and 5 neons died, some within a half hour. I still feel bad.

I'd say give her at least a week off of the AQ salt but keep with the Stress Coat (don't be afraid to put extra in). That's pretty cool it's starting to grow back.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #16 
kfryman

Oh okay thats good to hear, she is still good. Yeah when I saw a bit of the new growth I was so happy.

For WCs I have been busy and I need to change her water super badly. How long can she go without one? I know she needs clean water I am just curious.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Is she in the 5g? With one fish and as long as you don't leave uneaten food, she can get by with 1 100%. But with her gill exposed like that, 1 50% and 1 100% a week would be better. Or even 2 50%. But just this once, she should be okay.