Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #1 
Karebear13

Exclamation KORDON ICH plus

So my little Rufio had some white specks on his body. I started using Kordon Rid ICH plus on Friday, but I still see a few white spots. Im not sure if I should stop using the medication. I cant tell if he is uncomfortable by it cause sometimes he will dart at the tank. I have some aquarium salt should I use that instead I dont want to stress him out. Has anyone used this medication before and seen good results
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Kordon is a good brand but when I treat ich, I usually prefer to use AQ salt and high heat. The instructions for Rid Ich say you continue to use it until cured so if you want to continue, you can. What size is your tank and how did you dose it? The instructions say to add 1 tsp per 10g . . .

Rufio could be darting because he's itchy or he could be darting because he's having trouble with the meds, it's hard to say. If you want to try to treat with AQ salt and high heat, you can do that too. You need to have an adjustable heater that will go up to 86 F though for best results. Do a complete water change to get the meds out and then add 3 tsps of AQ salt per gallon. Predissolve it in a little bit of tank water first.

If the tank is smaller than 2g, do 100% water changes every day and replace the salt. This is really important because it gets the ich parasites out of the water before they can reattach. If your tank is over 2g, do at least 50% and try to clean the bottom of the tank really well with a gravel vac.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #3 
Karebear13

I have a two gallon tank. I have been doing about .5 gallon water changes everyday and adding about 15 drops of the Kordon RIDICH because It says ten drops per gallon. Do I just have to be more patient with the parasite... I thought that by the third day the parasite would be off of him and at the bottom of the tank because i thought that is how the parasites cycle worked.
Im starting to doubt that it was even ICH, but his behavior did change. IDK if i should just lay off any type of medication and just watch him?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #4 
Sakura8

You are right that usually medication should have cleared up ich by the third day. Does he have many spots left on him? Are the spots very big or do they look like grains of sea salt? If they look like salt, they probably were ich. Anything bigger than that and it could be a different kind of parasite or even something else entirely. If you want, you can hold off on adding any more medication for a day or two and just do very big water changes. If he continues to have white spots and to dart a lot, either try the medication again with larger (at least 50%) daily water changes or try the salt and high heat treatment.

I hope he feels better soon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote