Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #1 
RnB

Sick Betta Emergency

So we left one of our fish with my brother for 3 weeks,

When I picked him up, his tank was filled with brown algae and Cross (Our Betta) was laying on his side at the bottom of his tank. I had to go to work, so i instructed him to put Cross in a QT of clean water. When I returned a hour later, I found out, my brother didn't treat Cross's water...

What should I do???

I now have Cross in a Gallon Tank of Treated Tap water, with about a teaspoon of epsom salt.

He seems slightly more reactive than he did earlier, but I am still very worried.
RnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Just keep up with daily 100% changes with treated water. You can continue on epsom salt if you really want to, but it probably isn't necessary if he's not bloated or retaining fluid.

He might have ammonia poisoning depending on if his water was changed at all, and he's definitely being affected by the chlorine that's in regular tap water.

Keep things treated, clean, dark, and calm. It's really up to him to pull through after the water changes.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #3 
callistra

Epsoms also help with chemical poisoning it may be helpful in your case to remove the toxins from his system. I think you're doing everything you can. Just make sure his enviornment is calm and stress free and you may want to keep the room dim.

What is the size of the tank that was not cleaned for 3 weeks?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #4 
RnB

Its a five gallon tank,

He is seeming to be slightly more receptive. sometimes, very occasionally, jolting to the surface for air. flapping his fins and stuff at the bottom. Its better from being practically dead.
RnB is offline   Reply With Quote