Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #31 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Uhh.. what.. they lost will to fight? Which probably means they fought a lot, until they were too beat up to do so? For lack of a better example, that's like tiring out a lion so it can live with zebras. From what I get, a betta NEEDS to have some sort of territory to feel comfortable.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #32 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

at least 50 yet it depends on the temperment of the two bettas. you can try it but make sure when you do it you have the time to watch them and make sure they dont kill each other.
TorisExtraordinaryBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #33 
Curlyfatbottom

Not really
Cause all of them show color on stress line.
I think it cause when there young.
They never gain any turf or show any aggressive.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #34 
Bombalurina

Bettas come from really heavily vegitated bodies of water. They need that turf. Without cover, they feel stressed and vulnerable to predators and to other fish. A betta doesn't have to be showing stress lines to be stressed.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #35 
Curlyfatbottom

True.
Clamp fin,fish staying at the bottom or top and staying at a single spot.
My saying is if there no fighting among each other with no rip fin.
All the fish are health and can be kept together why not do it.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #36 
LionCalie

The fact of the matter is Betta's were originally domesticated and bred specifically for fighting. In the wild their fights don't last very long, but through specific breeding they have been engineered with the desire to continue a fight as long as they can. Obviously as their popularity grew people began to want to keep them as pets and to show. Fighting started to lose its social acceptance. So the Betta was engineered once again, but this time beauty outweighed desire to fight. It was never really bred out of them though.

The result are fish with the heart of a lion, in very delicate bodies.

People ask "Why not try males together?" which I reply with "Why risk it?"
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #37 
Luimeril

also, you gotta remember this:

just because it works for one person, doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

a very good example is sororities. i've seen some that work. beautiful, colorful girls. no stress stripes, no fin nips.
then, i've seen sororities where all the girls are dull, visibly stressed with stripes and clamped fins.
then, i've heard stories of near constant fighting, or the owner waking up to all but one beaten up girl dead.

just because you can keep x-number of (obviously unhappy) males together, doesn't mean everyone can, or should. it will end in horror and tears.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #38 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatbottom View Post
True.
Clamp fin,fish staying at the bottom or top and staying at a single spot.
My saying is if there no fighting among each other with no rip fin.
All the fish are health and can be kept together why not do it.
I will give you the same answer I give everyone who swears up and down a betta only needs a 0.5 gallon unheated bowls with monthly 100% water changes. If this seems like a rant, that is because it is very direct and to the point. If it seems a bit harsh it is because tone in forum post.

Just because your fish are healthy does not mean you are right.

Just because your fish aren't nipping at each other anymore does not mean you are right.

Just because a pecking order was established does not mean you are right.

Just because your fish aren't dead yet (and I do mean yet) does not mean you are right.

There is a difference between living and not being dead yet. The males who have lost the will to fight are not dead yet. There is a difference between thriving and surviving. The male who does have the will to fight is surviving by constantly intimidating an endless line of opponents. That is no way for any creature to exist even if the creature is able to adapt.

I will admit that my 5 gallon cycled tanks I am re-cycling for each of the new betta fish is a betta paradise. I will also admit that people with much simpler set ups have had fish for longer than I had Luigi and Snowy. By no means do I believe my way is the only right way. If a unique set up works for a unique situation then I'm gald when the person found a way around a problem.

However, I do call people out when they do something just because they feel they have a right to do something. If your curiousity about how well males can live together is satisfied, rehome your fish properly so they can thrive while living for the rest of their lives. Even if your curiousity isn't satisfied because you want to know who long males can live together before the inevitable happens, rehome them properly anyway.

I wouldn't start a sorority in a bare tank with no hiding spaces... -_-
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #39 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I will give you the same answer I give everyone who swears up and down a betta only needs a 0.5 gallon unheated bowls with monthly 100% water changes. If this seems like a rant, that is because it is very direct and to the point. If it seems a bit harsh it is because tone in forum post.

Just because your fish are healthy does not mean you are right.

Just because your fish aren't nipping at each other anymore does not mean you are right.

Just because a pecking order was established does not mean you are right.

Just because your fish aren't dead yet (and I do mean yet) does not mean you are right.

There is a difference between living and not being dead yet. The males who have lost the will to fight are not dead yet. There is a difference between thriving and surviving. The male who does have the will to fight is surviving by constantly intimidating an endless line of opponents. That is no way for any creature to exist even if the creature is able to adapt.

I will admit that my 5 gallon cycled tanks I am re-cycling for each of the new betta fish is a betta paradise. I will also admit that people with much simpler set ups have had fish for longer than I had Luigi and Snowy. By no means do I believe my way is the only right way. If a unique set up works for a unique situation then I'm gald when the person found a way around a problem.

However, I do call people out when they do something just because they feel they have a right to do something. If your curiousity about how well males can live together is satisfied, rehome your fish properly so they can thrive while living for the rest of their lives. Even if your curiousity isn't satisfied because you want to know who long males can live together before the inevitable happens, rehome them properly anyway.

I wouldn't start a sorority in a bare tank with no hiding spaces... -_-
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #40 
Curlyfatbottom

Most of my offspring live longer then 2 years.
Can be kept together.
My male can be breed two time in a month up to three month with great success.
Just because a male won't fight or flare at another male.
Don't make him unhappy.