Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #1 
wnppmy

One Unfiltered Gallon Betta Experiment

Now have Betta in a larger 5 gallon filtered and heated tank. He actually faired well active all the time, bubble nesting, course eats like a pig. Adding moss Ball may have helped, useing the most simple setup with 25 watt bulb brought temp to 75 to 76 degrees not bad, not surprised Algae Blooms, overnight water leaving some chlorine zapped out the algae, Ghost Shrimp didn't fair well, they won't tolerate this condition, too high toxic levels for them likely as well. Party I talked to had one in about 1 1/2 gallon bowl at an office lived full 5 years. She Water changed only twice a month. I'm not happy people keep them in such small bowls, incredible the Betta tolerates such.
Don't suggest these at all, a learning session for me, my First Betta, long may mine live. Betta you humble me, I salute you!
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #2 
wnppmy

Here is a clip on the 5 gallon setup, has heat and a Bio paddle water is exceptionally clear.

Thinking of a reef salt tank as had one years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGmxz...e_gdata_player
Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #3 
Draug Isilme

May I ask why you left chlorine in it to get rid of the algae and might I suggest there are more safer ways to go about getting rid of it? Also, was it brown algae or was it the greener stuff? This is my personal experience, but I find that while 1.5g bowls aren't the greatest things for bettas to thrive at their fullest, as long as water changes are met (which from this one woman it clearly wasn't) then bettas can still live a happy life. I've kept betta's in a 1.5g before I upgraded. They did perfectly fine- no health problems or anything, bubble nests, great response and flairing on occassion- I actually planned on using it for a quarantine tank, but until then (since my friend is also a person who lacks responsibility when taking care of a pet) I let her borrow it- her betta's gills were swollen because her bowl hadn't been changed in TWO MONTHS and the bowl itself was about 0.25g... The change in that betta was phenomenal! My friend was freaked out because of how active her betta was being... Which is kinda good 'cause she can see for herself that with proper conditions betta's aren't as 'boring' as people who don't know how to take care of... anything put them out to be.... I was definitely thrilled, but I'm still on edge whether or not that betta will still be that way after time has passed.... Hopefully my incessent gripping will get through to her at some point >.< Good luck with your betta! ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #4 
wnppmy

I did use an algae remover at first, did a bad number on the Ghost Shrimp, used small amounts of water change with untreated water left overnight, worked great. Course after algae cleared treated the water. Note this was a learning experiment, not the way I plan on keeping my Beta.

Another note moments ago talked to another party with a bowled Beta, had reflected sunlight, changed water but not frequent as one should, was a very active one, new the one that fed it, and with her for 7 years! Gads Betas are hardy.

Did the more frequent water changes with mine, very zippy and always had a cool bubble nest.

Unfortunately public keeps seeing them in the cup at pet shops and incorrectly believe that's how they are kept.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

I'm not really a fan of using algae remover or anything of the sort... Mainly because I worry about harmnig my aquatic animals and I also have live plants, so I worry about hurting them as well. You can treat algae by adjusting the source of light that the algae is feeding off of and good ole fashion elbow grease. It's more work, but you don't harm anything in the processs, especially if you have plants or small creatures that are sensitive to those kind of treatments. So what do you use for your light source? If it's a bulb, do you know how many kelvins the bulb has? And I understand, everyone needs to learn how to do things some way or another- trust me, I've had my fair share of learning experience with betta ^.^;; From no research, to a little research, but still not enough... to this site and then some xD
O.o; 7 years? I thought they only had a lifespan of 5 years, but of course that could possibly be because they were averaging 5 because of how little people really care for them... I'll definitely have to double check on that.
Nice ^.^ I'm sure your betta's extra happy, then, since it went from great conditions to UPGRADE fantastic!
Yeah.. I can understand why stores sell them in cups since they're so aggressive and it would be very had to keep them in anything else- not to mention they're selling them so they don't have to worry about maintenance as much since they're (hopefully) going to be gone after a certain amount of period... Although, I think it should be required to tell people that it's not how they should keep them and need to be treated like any other fish... Then again, most times it's the staff that are just as ignorant as the people who don't know anything, so I suppose we need to nip the bud at it's source >.<
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #6 
wnppmy

Nice info, a fun learning experience. Unfiltered bowls certainly work, but not for the novice, much easier with a larger setup indeed.

Believe 5 year life span is more the norm, interesting recall she mentioned using a form of filtered water with the 7 year Betta.

Last edited by wnppmy; 02-01-2012 at 11:49 PM.